Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
primaryeng
Lurker
Liked: 1 time

Product request - Want Veeam to get a solution for Autodesk BIM and Docs Cloud

Post by primaryeng » 1 person likes this post

Im not sure if this will get much traction, but figured I would post here hoping some Veeam folks would see it.

We desperately would like Veeam to engage with Autodesk and figure out a way that we can use Veeam to backup our cloud data that is sitting in Autodesk's BIM 360 and Docs cloud. Their system is closed off offers no real means to easily back up this data currently, unless you consider having users MANUALLY save-as to a local drive a backup method. (https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/ ... 0BIM%20360.)

It is a mess working in their cloud, but as a single design consultant on a team, we dont get to choose where our project data resides and must use these clouds. Nobody controls a means to backup the data on a scheduled basis. Autodesk's line is that "your data is safe with us" does not make me comfortable. IT does not protect me from corrupt files (this happens in revit models frequently), it does not protect me from employees deleting data unintentionally or intentionally. It does not protect us from Autodesk's cloud going toes up with a back end hack.

We really need the means to get solid backups that we can have access to our data anytime we need. Seems that every major restore has always happened on a Saturday night at 8pm when nobody is around for a call to support.

There is a group called "cloudsfer" that is out there offering something that they call a backup solution, however I feel it is a poor option becuase you have to manually configure a job for every project that is created and grant rights manually in the cloud. I want a global option to backup every single project that we have access to and even the ones that dont exist yet.

Autodesk's cloud system is clunky and difficult to navigate and hoping that Veeam can find a way to get some software to dive in and grab the files and pull them out.

Thanks.
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: Product request - Want Veeam to get a solution for Autodesk BIM and Docs Cloud

Post by PetrM »

Hello,

It seems to be a big topic for research but it's not on our roadmap so far, I cannot say that we see similar requests quite often. Anyway, many thanks for making us aware of this problem.

Thanks!
ArchIT
Lurker
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Bob

Re: Product request - Want Veeam to get a solution for Autodesk BIM and Docs Cloud

Post by ArchIT » 1 person likes this post

I wholeheartedly second this request. right now we're at their mercy which as the original poster noted, doesn't give me the warm and fuzzy. We use Veeam for all of our backup and love it. Autodesk's cloud is the only thing we can't currently/easily back up.
ekim1975
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: mike rakich

Post by ekim1975 »

I third this request.
Considering it's all hosted in AWS, you'd think it wouldn't be too hard to do?
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Post by PetrM »

Hi Mike and Welcome to Veeam R&D Forums!

It depends on what we mean by "hard" :) . Anyway, it's difficult to say without the engineering team input. The research in this area is needed to estimate the amount of resources required to deliver this functionality. Anyway, many thanks for your feedback, it's highly appreciated - the request is noted.

Thanks!
stewartcelani
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Stewart Celani

Post by stewartcelani »

Stumbled upon this while checking if Veeam had an official backup solution for Autodesk yet (sadly, no).

There is a free full-backup program called ACCBackup that'll back up all projects in your account that I've been using for a couple years to do nightly backups of 150 GB~ across 100+ projects. It's an option while waiting on official Veeam support.

(Full disclaimer: I'm the author.)
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1408 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Post by Andreas Neufert »

Can this backup tool be used with scripts, then joint customers could use our NAS File backup to initiate the backup and then protect the backup files as secondary to Veeam
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1408 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Post by Andreas Neufert »

Do you have maybe a link? it is hard to find on google.