Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Luneal87
Lurker
Liked: never

Proper job settings to backup to NAS

Post by Luneal87 »

Hi,
I hope this question is correct here:
I am new to Veeam and want to setup a NAS as a second backup target.
Since the backup requirements for this secondary storage differ from the ones in the backup to disk job I don't think I can use the backup-copy job but rather have to create a new one.

My aim here is to setup the job to do a backup of the server once every month as incremental backups. When a new year starts I want to make a new chain, so start again. The old backups are supposed to be deleted. The NAS is only a "in case of emergency" secondary smaller storage than my actual backup target, so long chains are neither required nor useful.

I am simply not sure if i set it up correctly or not:
I set the retention policy to 12 restore points and checked active full on the first monday on january.
Is that enough to fullfill my target or to i have to setup more? I'm almost sure i missed something, or is Veeam really that simple?
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2889 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Proper job settings to backup to NAS

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
and welcome to the forums.
I set the retention policy to 12 restore points and checked active full on the first monday on january.
that's fine to meet the monthly backup and one full a year. The only thing that cannot be achieved natively is to delete everything older backups than the January full. That would violate the "12 restore points" rule.
The NAS is only a "in case of emergency" secondary smaller storage than my actual backup target, so long chains are neither required nor useful.
a backup copy job with a few restore points does exactly that. Just keep in mind, to have a gateway server in your secondary location (or good bandwidth). That's needed for merges / applying retention.

Overall, I would re-think the backup strategy. It sounds like an uncommon business requirement, that 12 months incremental backup are needed during the year and that they can be all deleted after the first January backup.

Best regards,
Hannes
Luneal87
Lurker
Liked: never

Post by Luneal87 »

Hi,
sorry for the late reply.
What I meant is that I don't want MORE than 12 restore points, i.E. when january comes last years january should be deletet, feburary in feburary etc...
The challenge is that the NAS "only" has a capacity for 29.1 TB, while the BackupToDisk has a capacity for 56TB, at least in theory. The actual system that needs to be backed up is 19TB large, and a Tape libary is also used. I think that with that I am reaching the 3-2-1 rule of thumb.
Does the simple setup of saying "12 restore points and full in january" covers that? Or do I need to set some more options that I can't seem to find?

Greetings
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2889 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
12 restore points and full in january
yes, that's it :-) I thought you want to delete all backups before January (I have seen requests like that before...)

Best regards,
Hannes