Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
BGA-Robert
Service Provider
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Robert Wakefield

Protected VMs Report Based on Config, Not RPO

Post by BGA-Robert »

I'd like to generate a report showing protected VMs vs unprotected VMs in a vSphere environment, based on backup job configurations, not on RPO (backup sessions).

I'm finding that the RPO reports are sorta backward looking, ie. "this is what we got", vs "this is how we're configured and this is what we're going to do" report. The RPO protected VMs reports tend to be a bit of a mess with deleted and re-added VM's appearing as new VMs, but leaving old restore points behind. Also, different jobs have different schedules and retention, further complicating these reports. Different VMs have different RPOs and make it hard to run a single report.

Anyway... I think what would be helpful is a more "what are we going to do, what is Veeam configured to do" report. That way I can say we will be attempting to backup these VMs, and more importantly, "these are the VMs we are not attempting to backup". Basically, I just want to sweep vCenter for VMs and see if there are backup jobs containing those VMs.

I've been searching around for the last little bit and really haven't found a report like this. The hard part is that VMs can be defined directly into the job, but we may also be using tags, folders or even datastores to define which VMs to backup for any particular job. I can see where this would be a much more difficult report to generate.

Am I missing it? Or is there a report like this??

Thanks!!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2721 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Protected VMs Report Based on Config, Not RPO

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Robert,

That's an interesting request, some of our customers indeed wanted to see not only the existing restore points overview, but the scheduling options too. Does this report look close to what you would like to see in the output?

Thanks!
BGA-Robert
Service Provider
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Robert Wakefield

Re: Protected VMs Report Based on Config, Not RPO

Post by BGA-Robert »

Thanks for the response. I will take a look.