Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
verre
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Valentino Erre

proxy and vcpu...scale out or scale up?

Post by verre »

Hi everybody,
as I know, VMware ESX can manage better virtual machine with few vcpu. It is indeed always better having more small (in terms of quantity of vcpus) virtual machine then few bigger virtual machine: in other terms, scale out is better then scale up.
Now the question: one my client has 2 proxy in load balancing with 8 vcpu each... I suggest him to create 4 proxy in l.b. with 4 vcpu each... what do you think about that?

Another question: could it make differences if I provide my proxy with 2 socket 4 core insthead of 1 socket 8 core (the host is 2 socket 8 core)
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: proxy and vcpu...scale out or scale up?

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Valentino,
verre wrote:Now the question: one my client has 2 proxy in load balancing with 8 vcpu each... I suggest him to create 4 proxy in l.b. with 4 vcpu each... what do you think about that?
Using multiple proxy servers will allow you to lower the impact of losing one or more proxy servers in the DR situation. For example, when one proxy server goes down, jobs will be automatically redirected to other proxy servers and you will still have your VMs backed up.

Getting back to your original question, I would say that there shouldn't be any noticeable difference between these configurations, but I would prefer to sale out rather than scale up, because of the proxy HA reasons.

BTW, here is a good blog post from Frank Denneman talking about vCPU vs CPU core configurations, please take a look > vCPU configuration. Performance impact between virtual sockets and virtual cores?

Hope this helps!
verre
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Valentino Erre

Post by verre »

Thankyou vitality!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Let us know if you need anything else.