Availability for the Always-On Enterprise
odge
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Matthew Ogden

Proxy Groups

Post by odge » Jul 13, 2018 11:16 am

Am I the only person out there who finds themselves clicking different proxies from time to time when instead having a Proxy group (where a proxy might also belong to more than one group), would allow you to configure jobs to use a proxy group, and simply maintain who is in the group.

tdewin
Veeam Software
Liked: 426 times
Full Name: Timothy Dewin

Re: Proxy Groups

Post by tdewin » Jul 13, 2018 11:20 am

Not sure if it will match your use case but have you considered proxy affinity? You can assign certain proxies to a repository so if your job targets that repository, it will only use this set of proxies
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... tml?ver=95

odge
Veeam ProPartner

Post by odge » Jul 13, 2018 11:42 am

Ah, yes, let rephrase my question a bit better

odge
Veeam ProPartner

Post by odge » Jul 13, 2018 11:48 am

odge wrote:Am I the only person out there who finds themselves clicking different proxies from time to time when instead having a Proxy group (where a proxy might also belong to more than one group), would allow you to configure jobs to use a proxy group, and simply maintain who is in the group.
tdewin wrote:Not sure if it will match your use case but have you considered proxy affinity? You can assign certain proxies to a repository so if your job targets that repository, it will only use this set of proxies
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... tml?ver=95
as pointed to by tdewin, "why not use proxy affinity on the backup repository".

I'm actually finding this happens on cross site maintenance regarding replication more than anything else, we cant use "automatic" because then we see often see a proxy from the opposing site using NBD to this site (maybe the existing proxies are busy), so we need to lockdown which proxies can be used for source and destination. But if you have different jobs doing different things, it all adds up to a lot of maintenance to change a proxy configuration.

One might jump to the conclusion of - why have so many different jobs--- well, different times, different requirements (like Quiescing can only be set for a whole job, and not per VM/exclusions etc), different retentions and what not.