Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
jcofin13
Service Provider
Liked: 1 time

Proxy servers and getting full / drives

Post by jcofin13 »

WE have 5 or so linux proxies deployed for our backups jobs and recently we have been getting alert that their / file system is running out of space. It looks to me as if these were deployed originally with a 15gb root partition (disk).

Can we expand these linux proxy vms drives sizes to be something larger rather than redeploy them all at a larger size? I am pretty sure resizing linux disks can be done but it involves a few steps at the cli to get it done properly. Just not sure about proxy servers specifically.

Here is what we have currently:

Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/mapper/ubuntu--vg-ubuntu--lv 15371208 13537080 1031520 93% /
chris.childerhose
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 132 times
Full Name: Chris Childerhose

Re: Proxy servers and getting full / drives

Post by chris.childerhose »

You should be able to add space to the disks (assuming they are virtual) and then use the tools within Linux CLI to expand the disks. From what I know, it is slightly different based on the disk type, like EXT4, LVM, etc. I am not a Linux expert by any means.
-----------------------
Chris Childerhose
Veeam Vanguard / Veeam Legend / Veeam Ceritified Architect / VMCE
vExpert / VCAP-DCA / VCP8 / MCITP
Personal blog: https://just-virtualization.tech
Twitter: @cchilderhose
jcofin13
Service Provider

Post by jcofin13 »

It seems our proxy servers are provisioned at 16gb.....and are getting full. Most of what is using the space appears to be in the /var/log folder and the sub folders under here are specific to the veeam jobs and vmdks.

Either way.....none of them have filled up yet. WE are getting alerts of them being 90% full. Does veeam managed and truncate and clean up these logs to keep the disk from filling up or have we just gotten lucky that they havent filled up yet? It seems odd they havent gotten more full.

I really dont want to resize them to say 50gb only to have them all fill up to 90% full again and 1. waste the space and 2. get the alerts again if it manages the space for you.

Thought i would ask before i start expanding drives.
jcofin13
Service Provider

Post by jcofin13 »

https://bp.veeam.com/vbr/2_Design_Struc ... quirements.

The guide mentions nothing on OS drive sizing.
Daniel_J
Service Provider
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Daniel Judge

Post by Daniel_J » 1 person likes this post

It's an annoying process with the var/log VeeamBackup logs filling up space.

Simplest process is to run a weekly cronjob with find /var/log/VeeamBackup -type f -iname "*log*" -mtime 30 -delete; or similar to remove old logs. There is configuration https://www.veeam.com/kb1825 to set max number of gz files, and log file size. but this doesn't account for the amount of noise that can build up in the /var/log directory on repo's and proxies.

Of course this only works so well as having sufficient space. Always good to use LVM and have /var/log on it's own partition that can be expanded easily enough when needed.