Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
McKITGuys
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: McK Admins

Pulling Veeam server out of domain

Post by McKITGuys »

Hi,
As part of best practice, I was told that our backup servers/repositories should not be in our domain. So went to pull them out today. After un-joining from the domain, when I fire up VBR on our local Veeam server, it complains that it cannot find the server at the remote location (we have two data centers - one in our main office and a 2nd is at our offsite data center (and the backup jobs are copied to each other each night).

It seems that DNS service is not able to find the servers once they are out of the domain. It would not go in our Windows DNS setup as these 2 servers are now outside of the domain. Do I somehow have to put a new zone in our DNS and label it the same as the workgroup name I put the servers into when I unjoined them? And if I got that working, will Veeam be able to use the components set up on the infrastructure tab of Veeam.

Thanks.
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: Pulling Veeam server out of domain

Post by PetrM »

Hello,

It's difficult to comment on the idea to create a new zone in your DNS without having a good knowledge of your infrastructure. But it sounds reasonable as long as you make DNS resolution to work. I believe that backup infrastructure components will start to see each other once the DNS issue is fixed. For instance, you may try to edit hosts file as a temporary workaround. Also, please open a support case, upload logs bundle and share case ID with us. We cannot troubleshoot technical problems effectively over the forum posts.

Thanks!
mohamed.UBX
Service Provider
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Mohamed Ali

Post by mohamed.UBX »

You can try host file entry as temporary workaround or alternative you can use below method to add DNS entry in AD

1. Modify the local server host name and add your domain name in the DNS Suffix. --> "Primary DNS suffix of this computer"
2. Create DNS entry on your AD DNS

Now it should able to resolve the DNS using the domain name without joining in domain.
mjr.epicfail
Veeam Legend
Liked: 39 times
Full Name: Danny de Heer

Post by mjr.epicfail »

Hi,

probably the components are trying to resolve the machines with hostnames and because your localmachine is out of the domain no domain suffix is added to the system.
You can manually add a dns suffix, that will probably fix it.
VMCE / Veeam Legend 1*