Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
rntguy
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Rnt Guy

purging old VMs

Post by rntguy »

If a customer has GFS restore points that go back 3 years for a job (12 monthlies, 3 yearlies) with 10 VMs in it, and 9 months in they don't need to back that VM up anymore...

my understanding is that the backups for that VM will stay on disk until the files (per vm backup files) are 3 years old and then only 1 will purge. A year later the next one will, etc.

It appears there is a way to say 'purge all backups for a single VM inside a given job' manually (on Prem and in the veeam cloud which we manage).

But (Q1) what does the feature inside the job mean to "Remove deleted VMs data after X days" - does this only apply when you remove a VM from the copy job (or backup job) and then (Q2) does it delete all backups associated with that VM? Or is that feature just to get it to stop warning you every day that a VM is missing from the job?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: purging old VMs

Post by veremin »

It appears there is a way to say 'purge all backups for a single VM inside a given job' manually (on Prem and in the veeam cloud which we manage).
There is no way to do that indeed.
But (Q1) what does the feature inside the job mean to "Remove deleted VMs data after X days" - does this only apply when you remove a VM from the copy job (or backup job) and then (Q2) does it delete all backups associated with that VM? Or is that feature just to get it to stop warning you every day that a VM is missing from the job?
Kindly, review corresponding section of our User Guide and ask for additional clarification if needed.
rntguy
Enthusiast

Post by rntguy »

v.Eremin wrote: There is no way to do that indeed.
If you do per-vm backup files it looks like it works. I can right click any VM inside a job and delete it.
rntguy
Enthusiast

Post by rntguy »

v.Eremin wrote:Kindly, review corresponding section of our User Guide and ask for additional clarification if needed.
Hi, I was reading it and correct me if I'm wrong, but it appears it only refers to the last X Restore points configuration, not to the archived restore points. Those won't roll off until some future data via some internal check? Keep in mind I'm using various jobs where per-vm backup files is enabled.

Thank you
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

GFS restore points are not subjected to deteted VMs retention, only to their own retention (the specified number of weekly, monthly, etc. points).
rntguy
Enthusiast

Post by rntguy »

thanks foggy. is there ever a way to expire and purge points based on age without running a new backup? If you have an old backup with VMs you don't use anymore and you want their backups to expire how else can you do that some point down the road?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

In case it's a per-VM chain, you can just manually delete the files you do not need anymore.
rntguy
Enthusiast

Post by rntguy »

thanks
Spex
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Stefan Holzwarth

[MERGED] Automatic remove deleted vms from storage for GFS c

Post by Spex »

It seems there is no solution to get orphaned/deleted/moved vms completly removed from copyjobs that use GFS retention policies (if using single vm backups?).
The setting remove deleted vms from backup after x days does not work as expected.
Currently I have to hunt for that vms to release disk space - has anyone written a Powershell script for this problem?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Hi Stefan, seems you're experiencing behavior similar to discussed in this thread, so I'm merging your post.
Spex
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Stefan Holzwarth

Post by Spex »

I would like to have this addressed as a new feature. For an enterprise backup product it's a must have to automatic maintain deleted backup objects.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

Your request is accepted, thanks for the feedback.