Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
ICarter
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Ian Carter

Query about communication between proxy and repository roles

Post by ICarter »

Hi,

We're just starting to deploy Veeam and we're running through a number of test cases.

We have a virtual management server and a physical server with both the proxy and repository roles that has direct SAN access to LUs and direct attached storage.

When running a backup we've noticed high network activity on the physical server, which seems to be both the source and target for the traffic.

Is it expected that the proxy and repository agents would communicate over the network, even when installed on the same server, rather than handling this internally?

One thing I did think is that I've added the server as server1.xyz.com in Veeam, though the server is in a windows domain so it would primarily be server1.ad.xyz.com. The DNS in both cases resolves to the same IP, but I did wonder if internally Veeam is thinking the repository is on a different server to the proxy and therefore sending the data over the network.

Any ideas?

Cheers, Ian
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Query about communication between proxy and repository r

Post by foggy »

Ian, please ensure that the correct proxy is effectively selected for processing and Direct SAN mode is used to get VM data from the source datastore (this info is available in the job statistics window). There is a chance that the default proxy (installed as a part of Veeam B&R) is used, not the physical one.
ICarter
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Ian Carter

Post by ICarter »

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I have forced the job to use the machine that is both a proxy and repository as the proxy and have also configured the proxy to always use Direct SAN mode and never fail back to using the network. This is mainly why I was a little surprised to see a lot of network traffic :)

Cheers, Ian
chrisdearden
Veteran
Liked: 226 times
Full Name: Chris Dearden

Post by chrisdearden »

I have seen this happen at a customer before - I'd be tempted to make sure all the correct name resolution is in place , possibly adding both DNS aliases to the Proxy server hosts file to resolve to localhost as test. Is the proxy server dual homed ? If you look at the logs on the proxy server , you should see seperate logs for the proxy agent and repository agent processes. You can see what its trying to connect to from those.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

And our support team is always able to assist you in reading logs.