Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
lostbackups
Influencer
Liked: 1 time

Question about backup schedule & backup window - trying to get specific number of backups

Post by lostbackups »

I currently have Veeam Backup & Replication Essentials Standard version. I am trying to set up a single job to contain all VMware VM's to generate 2 backups per day: 1 at or around 12PM noon, and 1 at well after the end of the business day - around 8PM.

https://i.imgur.com/4BICc5c.png of my current backup schedule/window.

Based on what I have set in the screenshot there, am I correct in understanding that this will work as intended? I have read up the Veeam documentation about backup jobs and windows and things but it's still a little unclear.

If I have it to run the job periodically every 8 hours and with a schedule of permitted hours between 12PM to 8PM, will I end up with 2 incremental backups - #1 taken at 12PM and #2 taken at 8PM?
If I have 10 VM's within this job, will they all start to process at exactly the same time? - I am concerned about the system performance of my VMs, ESXi hosts, and/or storage controller if I had 10+ VM snapshots running all at once.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Question about backup schedule & backup window - trying to get specific number of backups

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
and welcome to the forums.
am I correct in understanding that this will work as intended?
asking the other way around: did you try it? :-)

the user guide says, that it works a little bit different
For example, you have configured a job to run with a 2-hour interval and defined permitted hours from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM. According to the rules above, the job will first run at 9:00 AM, when the denied period is over. After that, the job will run at 10:00 AM, 12:00 PM, 2:00 PM and 4:00 PM.
That means your first backup will run at 12:00PM (noon) and 4:00PM (2x8h). In general, I recommend not to use "creative start times" and stick with the defaults of the software. If you really want your backup to start to specific times, you could leverage the windows task scheduler. On the job summary page you can see the command to start a job manually (e.g. via windows task scheduler)
If I have 10 VM's within this job, will they all start to process at exactly the same time?
it depends on your settings, but probably not. The main limiter will be the proxy tasks (max concurrent tasks). And if you have all of them on the same LUN, then not more than 4 will be snapshotted at the same time (per default)

Best regards,
Hannes