Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
skrause
Veteran
Liked: 105 times
Full Name: Steve Krause

Question about changes to Backup Copy in v9

Post by skrause »

I heard it mentioned at VeeamON that there would be an option in Backup Copy jobs to have an "active full" copy.

In this scenario, does it copy a full with the most recent restore point on disk (sort of a synthetic full but in a new location)?

Also, will this still perform the transforms on the target storage for retention?

The reason I am asking is that we have a server that has a very high change rate (it is where our SQL and transaction log backups for multiple servers go) and the nightly incrementals are between 20-40% of the size of the VM. I think a lot of this is due to windows de-duplication and am hoping that the "don't backup deleted blocks" option in 9 will help resolve that, but we copy it off-site every week and the weekly "increments" are basically a full backup anyway. I was hoping that it would process a little faster if I could just tell it to do an active full copy every week so there is no figuring out what has changed from the previous week.

I know this is an edge case, and might be solved by the other added features, but I was wondering more about how the active full copy will work so I thought I would ask :)
Steve Krause
Veeam Certified Architect
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Question about changes to Backup Copy in v9

Post by foggy »

Active full for backup copy job will copy the VM latest state in the new full restore point and start the chain anew (no transforms until retention is reached).
skrause
Veteran

Post by skrause »

foggy wrote:Active full for backup copy job will copy the VM latest state in the new full restore point and start the chain anew (no transforms until retention is reached).
So if I told it to run an active full every week, with a retention of 5 weeks, it would do a full copy every week and then just drop the oldest point when retention is hit because it won't need to do a transform?
Steve Krause
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

Yo will not be allowed to schedule active full for the simple backup copy job retention, you can only "schedule" it for GFS or start manually.
Thanks!
nikpolini
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times

Post by nikpolini »

Hi.
I have a related, and what I think the OP was asking, question; With the backup copy job, can it be configured to NOT do any sort of transform at all on the target storage (De-Dupe device)? Whether that be using GFS or whatever....

Thanks.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

I have a related, and what I think the OP was asking, question; With the backup copy job, can it be configured to NOT do any sort of transform at all on the target storage (De-Dupe device)?
Yes, it can, just wait till v9 is released. Thanks.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

nikpolini wrote:With the backup copy job, can it be configured to NOT do any sort of transform at all on the target storage (De-Dupe device)?
Actually, this will be the only way of how it can be configured. There will be no way of scheduling an active full like you do in the backup job, the setting will just switch the backup copy job chain from forever incremental to simple forward incremental mode with periodic active fulls (where the period is the desired GFS step).
skrause
Veteran

Post by skrause »

Ahhh, so it will run as I want it for this particular instance. I just have to set it up with GFS. Good to know.
Steve Krause