Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Globatech
Novice
Liked: never

Question about disaster recovery

Post by Globatech »

Hi,
we use Veeam BR to backup all our VM to a NAS storage and after that this NAS was replicate to a cold cloud storage. But now for insurance its mandatory to do offline backup so we start use external drive to copy the file from the NAS. I copy the vbm and the vbk file to this drive. My question is if we have a real DR situation what the step from there to recover the VM and/or at least the data.
If i reinstall veeam BR on a new server would i be able to read my external drive from veeam and do something with this? Is there something else i should copy to this drive...

Thanks!
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Question about disaster recovery

Post by Mildur »

Hello Globatech
I copy the vbm and the vbk file to this drive.
You should let the backup server handle this copy process. Use a backup copy job and rotated disk option to copy backups to the usb disk:
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=120
My question is if we have a real DR situation what the step from there to recover the VM and/or at least the data.
If i reinstall veeam BR on a new server would i be able to read my external drive from veeam and do something with this? Is there something else i should copy to this drive...
1) install a new VBR server
2) Import the backups

If you let Veeam do the copy of the backups as recommended, you can also restore your most recent configuration backup on the new VBR server. The new backup server should then already be aware which repository has which backups. Also entire job configuration would be restored that way.

Additional information you may find useful. My colleague Hannes blogged about the process:
https://www.veeam.com/blog/restoring-in ... veeam.html

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software