Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
omitv
Influencer
Liked: never

Question about proxy when restoring files from backup job

Post by omitv »

Hi,

I have a problem with restore speed when restoring SQL backups to a vm located behind slow network speed. I have installed the proxy role to a local server there and created a local repository for the backups. When using the proxy and local repository the backup speed is ok (60mb/s). When I restore something the speed is just as bad as having no proxy at all (6mb/s) and running the backup over LAN. Do I have to define the proxy for the restore jobs somehow or is Veeam supposed to use the same proxy it did during the initial backup where I'm restoring from?
I'm a new user to Veeam and I've just stumbled on to my first restore case so help is appreciated.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Question about proxy when restoring files from backup jo

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello,

To make full VM restores quicker, you need to have virtual proxy server on the host you're restoring VMs to. In this case you will be able to use ESXi I/O stack to write data to the datastore. If you don't have these proxy servers available, then restore will be performed over the management network of the target ESXi host.

On top of that, you may want to consider using Instant VM Recovery feature to bring any failed VM back online as quickly as possible.

Thank you!
omitv
Influencer

Post by omitv »

So it is not enought that the proxy resides on the other host of the cluster? How come the backups run through the proxy then but not restore? And I was not restoring a full vm but just couple of SQL database files of a virtual machine.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

What I was referring to is a capability of proxy server to write data directly to storage via ESXi I/O stack using virtual proxy servers. Full VM restores are always performed using proxy servers, but this doesn't seem to be your case as you've used FLR functionality.
omitv wrote:I have a problem with restore speed when restoring SQL backups to a vm located behind slow network speed. I have installed the proxy role to a local server there and created a local repository for the backups. When using the proxy and local repository the backup speed is ok (60mb/s).
When you're using built-in FLR wizard backup files are mounted to the backup console, since your backup console was installed locally the restore went quick. In the first case the compressed and deduped backup files had to be opened over the network to start the restore process. I believe this is the reason why you saw different restore speed in two different setups.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Since Windows FLR is performed through the backup server, you can install another instance of Veeam B&R in the remote site, import the backup there, and perform FLR locally.
omitv
Influencer

Post by omitv »

I think that will do the trick. Is there any license limitation on how many B6R instances I can have installed simultaneously?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

There is no limitation in the number of backup servers installed. The only thing you should do is to license all source hosts you're backing up VMs from.