Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
lostbackups
Influencer
Liked: 1 time

Question about reducing the amount of restore points / removing .vib and .vbk files

Post by lostbackups »

I just want to get some quick input on this. Let's say I have a job with one server being backed up and I have it set to run every 6 hours all day long and to periodically create a synthetic full backup and a month's retention which equates to about 124 restore points (4 restore points per day x 31 days =124 restore points). Then, after a few months, I decide that I want to reduce the amount of restore points and get rid of the synthetic full backups in order to conserve space on my backup server. Say I want to change it down to run 1 time a day with 2 weeks retention & no synthetic backup. I'd be looking at 14 .vibs and one single .vbk

Will Veeam eventually consolidate all the files for me over time where I will end up with the desired amount of files or do I need to go in an manually delete the oldest vbk and all the oldest .vibs up to the most recent full backup?

I'm just not sure how Veeam handles this or if it's recommended to just completely delete the backup job and start a new one.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Question about reducing the amount of restore points / removing .vib and .vbk files

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
short answer: yes

long answer: although the backup files look "shiny" in the file system... never touch them manually ;-)

Best rgards,
Hannes
lostbackups
Influencer
Liked: 1 time

Re: Question about reducing the amount of restore points / removing .vib and .vbk files

Post by lostbackups »

Thanks, and I ended up finding out that on the next backup run it should reduce number of retention points to 14 removing any older restore points and any synthetics still in the chain will age out over the next 14 days (per my example).