Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
davidb1234
Expert
Liked: 15 times
Full Name: David Borden

Question about replicating SQL server and VSS aware options

Post by davidb1234 »

If I replicate a SQL server in the middle of the day and have application aware image processing turned on and use the option NOT to truncate logs will my normal SQL backup and LOG file backup chain be broken?

We backup the SQL databases using SQL and take log file backups every hour during the day. Will this log file backup chain be broken if Veeam does a VSS replication cycle on this sql server between TLOG backups?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Question about replicating SQL server and VSS aware opti

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi David,

No, they shouldn't be broken since we do not truncate your SQL Server log files. Moreover, this was the major reason (doing backup of SQL Server by a separate backup job or via native tools) why we've decided not to truncate SQL Server log files by default for replication jobs in Veeam B&R 6.1

Thanks!
davidb1234
Expert
Liked: 15 times
Full Name: David Borden

Post by davidb1234 »

Thanks for chiming in!
Guido
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Guido

[MERGED] SQL backup and application-aware image processing

Post by Guido »

We do a native SQL full backup once a day and log backup every 15 minutes. What happens if I enable application-aware image processing for this vm (not truncating de log)? Can these 2 vss snapshots interfere each other? Is it better to stop these log backups during de veeam backup job?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Guido,

If you're doing SQL backups using native tools, then I guess you don't need to enable this option (AAIP) at all, so there should be no issues with the overlap. On the other hand, if you still decide to use AAIP, then I would definitely set a different schedule to both backup jobs, Veeam and SQL Server.

Thanks!