Question about .VBK, . VRB & .VBM file's and offsite backups

Availability for the Always-On Enterprise

Re: Question about .VBK, . VRB & .VBM file's and offsite bac

Veeam Logoby ncolt » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:06 am

Thanks screenpixuk - this is exactly what I'm looking for as I need to copy the newest vbk files daily to an offsite box not controlled by Veeam. Copying over a full backup is not an option. Was trawling through this page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compariso ... n_software to look for something which would to a delta change of the vbk file.
Rsync over Cygwin would have worked and but I couldn't configure it to run passwordless with SSH.
ncolt
Enthusiast

Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Neil Colthorpe

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:35 am

What kind of box are you talking about? I'm wondering because backup copy running on the desired basis should be able to meet your goal of copying only deltas between execution cycles. Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 968 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Veeam Logoby ncolt » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:33 pm

Hi, we do utilise backup copy so the backups are mirrored. But this is not safe enough for us against a determined user or ransomware. This is a third environment which will you will need to physically access to make changes on so cannot be managed by the Veeam B&R server.
ncolt
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:05 am

Hmm, I'm wondering how the proposed utility would help you against ransomware. As soon as source files get infected, they will be replicated to target device, resulting in both copies being encrypted. Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 968 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Veeam Logoby PhillyBoy » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:20 am

Perhaps I missed something in the post, but Veeam can handle your situation perfectly.
First of all it can write directly to tape either via Fibre Channel (as we do) or diretly attached.
Then, you can create a Veeam backup to tape job, and instruct it to only copy the latest incremental restore point to tape.
If I have understood what you are trying to do this seems a much simpler soloution ?
PhillyBoy
Lurker

Liked: never

Veeam Logoby ncolt » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:45 am

Good point Vladimir, we did consider that and we presume there will be a lot of failed jobs if ransomware has taken hold of the backup files. I can set a script to stop the copying if there are over a certain amount of failed jobs.
We did not want to use tape PhillyBoy. But yes I concede it may well have been simpler!
ncolt
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby PhillyBoy » Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:22 pm

Oh and I know this is a long dead thread, and the boat has left, but don't forget that tape is still considered to be a more reliable media than disk, by a factor of several ! I think people think its the other way around.
PhillyBoy
Lurker

Liked: never

Previous

Return to Veeam Backup & Replication