Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Glasstream2000
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Robert Jordan

Question for Offsite Repository

Post by Glasstream2000 »

Right now I have a server with V B&R that is backing up to a SAN Repository. I would like to add offsite backup over a VPN which would only be available once a week (or when I turn it on) for the offsite backup job to run. Now my question is, would Synology NAS device work and work without issues and be something that would be the best device to use as the offsite storage device, or would you recommend something different?
The main repository is 21TB in size with about 18TB used.
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: Question for Offsite Repository

Post by PetrM »

Hello,

The plan seems to be fine, I wouldn't expect any issues. However, I'd recommend to run backup copy to the off-site repository instead of doing direct backup, this approach will allow you to respect 3-2-1 rule and to reduce the load on production environment as already existing backup files will be used as a data source. Also, it would be helpful to deploy a gateway server on the remote site to get better performance and higher reliability.

Thanks!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Hi Robert, for the general repository-related discussion I'd refer you to this existing thread to review a number of options and considerations behind them. Recommendations given there apply to offsite scenarios as well.
Glasstream2000
Novice

Post by Glasstream2000 »

I saw that post but since it was so old and alot has changed since then. Also to refresh my memory is the Gateway server an extra cost?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6715 times

Post by Gostev »

If it was not actual, I would update it :D as this is by far the top question! The only thing that has changed since is V11, that is so highly optimized for deployments on general-purpose servers, it can exceed 11GB/s backup performance with a single box!

No Veeam backup infrastructure components need to be licensed, you can deploy as many as you please.
Glasstream2000
Novice

Post by Glasstream2000 »

Perfect! that's what I needed to know, I was thinking about that and I have some boxes I can load Linux on as well.
1 more question, is there anyway that has either been developed or someone come up with to allow Veeam to connect to a repository then disconnect until the job needs to run again or something along those lines for the offsite backup repository. Just thinking of crypto ware types of scenarios. I see that Currently, only Linux backup repository provides the immutability option? looks like that keeps crypto from hitting the offsite back ups correct?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

You can use pre/post-job scripts to achieve that. Correct, currently only Linux repository provides immutability.