Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
serverbu
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times

Question regarding active full backup and reverse increment

Post by serverbu »

Hello,

we are planning to switch our backup stragy to reverse incremental backups.
Plan is to keep a chain of 14 days and take an active full backup every weekend (7 days).
As an active full backup starts a new backup chain we are wondering if this means that our 14 day backup chain gets destroyed?
Can, lets say, the incremental backup from monday the 1st still be restored on Monday the 8th after we have taken an active full backup on saturday the 6th?

best regards
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Question regarding active full backup and reverse increm

Post by foggy »

Nothing will be destroyed. You will always have the specified number of restore points available. Active full will just start the backup chain anew, keeping the restore points according to the specified retention.

That said, I would say that weekly active full for reversed incremental is a bit overkill: How often do I need a full backup?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Can, lets say, the incremental backup from monday the 1st still be restored on Monday the 8th after we have taken an active full backup on saturday the 6th?
With the reversed incremental mode in place you can think of retention setting as a number of days you can go back in case of restore (the oldest time you can restore from). Thanks.
serverbu
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times

Post by serverbu »

Thanks that confirms my understanding of active full backups, now I can assure my supervisor that he did not need to fear a destruction of backup chains.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Indeed, the new active full backup won't result in backup chain breakage. So, you can use it fearlessly. Thanks.