Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Delo123
Veteran
Liked: 109 times
Full Name: Guido Meijers

Question regarding GFS/restore Points for archival purposes

Post by Delo123 »

Currently cleaning up archival restore points setting but i actually think i am not sure how gfs actually works here.
Keep Full backups:
If i set Weekly Backup to 4 what will happen? Will it keep the first 4 weeks?
Weekly to 8, Montly to 6 Querterly to 1. The first 8 weeks? And the first 4 weeks 2 fulls? (1 weekly + 1 monthly?) and when will it make the quarterly then?
Or can the last week backup become a monthly?

If i set Montly to 12 and everthing elso to 0 will i have a months full? and what happens the second year?
My Goal is to keep a Months Full until we stop the Job

Ps. Maybe a "Preview" Button would be nice...
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Question regarding GFS/restore Points for archival purpo

Post by veremin »

Hi, Guido,

Have you already seen the corresponding section of our Help Center? The GFS mechanism is explained in details there.

Thanks.
Delo123
Veteran
Liked: 109 times
Full Name: Guido Meijers

Post by Delo123 »

Hmm, yes that helps thanks. I wasn't aware online Help goes more into detail than the included help.
I still think i will end up with 2 or even 3 fulls at the end of the quarter (the weekly, monthly and the quarterly) but i will figure out...

Thx
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Delo123 wrote:Hmm, yes that helps thanks. I wasn't aware online Help goes more into detail than the included help.
Actually, the same description is given in the user guide (PDF), see p.112.
Aremac
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Sam Pierce

Post by Aremac »

Question regarding GFS.. What is the relationship between "Restore points to keep" and the GFS retention settings?

if I have restore point to keep set to 3 but enable GFP for 4 weekly, 12 monthly, and 3 yearly. Will:
I retain all the points specified in GFS PLUS 3 restore points that aren't in the GFS rotation
Or.. Will I have 3 restore points and some may be marked weekly for a time but never reach 4, (or monthly, yearly) because only 3 restore points are kept regardless of GFS settings?

From what I 'think' im seeing I will have to set retention points to keep to at least 19 in order for my GFS rotation to work.. Is this right?

Also, Is there anything in the actual backup (name or otherwise) that denotes a backup a weekly, monthly, etc or can I only see this from looking in the GUI?

Thanks
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

The "Restore points to keep" setting refers to the simple retention only and does not include GFS restore points, so this is correct:
Aremac wrote:I retain all the points specified in GFS PLUS 3 restore points that aren't in the GFS rotation
Aremac wrote:Also, Is there anything in the actual backup (name or otherwise) that denotes a backup a weekly, monthly, etc or can I only see this from looking in the GUI?
Each backup file name contains the date of its creation so this can be used to identify its scheduling "nature".
Aremac
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Sam Pierce

Post by Aremac »

Thanks, I will have to test this more:

"The "Restore points to keep" setting refers to the simple retention only and does not include GFS restore points, so this is correct:"

This doesn't reflect the behaviour I'm seeing. Where on Monday I had a backup that was marked at (W)eekly, today It doesn't show up. It seems to keep only as many retention points as configured in the simple retention settings. I see this on both of my backup copy jobs that have GFS retentions defined.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

This is unexpected, so I suggest contacting support to verify our settings.