Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
BWil2024
Lurker
Liked: never

Question: What Tests are Performed Backup Vs Replication

Post by BWil2024 »

I am looking to confirm what testing/verification happens when Backup and Replication jobs are run.

Based on my own research I see by default the only thing that runs when either a backup or replication job is fired off is a CRC check. There are no other tests or other form of data validation that happens. Is this correct? (This question is for Backup and Replication jobs not SureBackup or SureReplication jobs.)

If there are other checks happening, can you please tell me what they are and if there are any differences between a backup and replication job?

Thanks!
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2346 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Question: What Tests are Performed Backup Vs Replication

Post by Mildur »

Hello BWil2024

Correct. We perform CRC checks to make sure that the data block sent between our data movers were not affected by network issues.
- For backup jobs, Source data mover is a proxy server and target data mover a repository server (or gateway server).
- For replica jobs, source and target data mover are proxy server.

For other checks you need to use SureBackup/SureReplica jobs. Or schedule the health check job in backup job settings.
Explanation for a backup job: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=120

May I ask what additional checks you would like to see from our jobs?

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
BWil2024
Lurker
Liked: never

Re: Question: What Tests are Performed Backup Vs Replication

Post by BWil2024 »

No requests currently. I was just looking for information to ease a concern about a design I was putting forward at work. Thank you for your help!