Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Dark-Sider
Influencer
Liked: 3 times

Questions about Upgrading to VUL

Post by Dark-Sider »

Hi,

currently we are using a 14 socket B&R Standard-Edition license that has been kept under maintenance since we purchased it. We are now adding a Tape Drive to our Backup infrastructure - which basically requires upgrading to Enterprise to have Backup Jobs copied over to tapes.

With the old licensing model coming to an end soon, I was wondering how the switch to VUL works:

How many Instances (VMs) do I get for the 14 socket license (I read about 7 per socket and up to 15 with proof?)
Will these be converted to VUL perpetual with yearly maintenance fees? Or will it be a pure subscription based model? Will the pricing be based on our old maintenance fees or will it be completely recalculated?

Our Workloads consist only of:
- vmware VMs
- a couple of bare metal machines with veeam agent
- backup copy jobs (to a secondary loaction)
- and the new planned tape jobs

Am I assuming correctly that only the vmware VMs will count towards the instances?

Support ID 02378876

regards,
Fabian
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Re: Questions about Upgrading to VUL

Post by Gostev »

Hi, Fabian

You'd need to contact our sales for the quote/specifics as we here are with R&D and don't have access to the VUL Migration Calculator.

I can only share the key principles of migration to VUL since I've been closely involved in designing and improving the policy itself:
1. The VUL license will be issued for the number of VMs you currently have, rounded to the next closest 10. There's no "X per socket" or anything like that. But keep in mind that unlike with Socket licenses, VUL license usage can be exceeded.
2. Migrating customers are provided with a discount in perpetuity on migrated licenses to avoid a major increase in their existing renewals costs in case of high-density and/or low edition environments. So don't look at VUL MSRP.
3. Conversion to both VUL Subscription and VUL Perpetual is available, but the standardized process for the latter will be launched later this quarter only (currently this requires custom quoting and may not result in a very good deal).

In addition to the VUL migration quote, I recommend you also request a quote from upgrading your Sockets licenses to ENT+ and compare the offers side by side. While we're going to stop selling the "old" licensing model later this year, we're not discontinuing the license itself and are letting existing customers keep using it. Although I think you're much more likely to prefer the VUL migration offer anyway (unless you have some extreme environment).

Thanks!
_james
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times

Post by _james »

Hello @Gostev, I know this is an old topic, but I had a question about Backup Copy Jobs.
For example lets say I have 50 VMs that are backed by regular backup job, for that I need 50 VULs. Does that change if I then do Copy Job of the regular backup job?
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur » 1 person likes this post

Hi James

For the same source VM, only 1 VUL is required.
If you have 50 VUL for 50 VMs, you don‘t have to buy more VUL if you want to leverage backup copy jobs now.

You can do backup jobs, backup copy jobs, replication jobs, tape jobs, agent jobs or use enterprise plugins on this vm, it will be just 1 VUL even if you use all the jobs for this vm.

Thanks
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

In simple words, we only license primary backup. Everything else that you may be doing with your existing backups (copying, exporting to tape, restoring, running DataLabs off of them) never consumes a license.
PRD
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Flemming Wilton Hansen

Post by PRD »

Hi,

I am about to renew my Veeam B&R license.

I have 2x2 socket licenses with 8 vm´s in all running on my 2 hosts.
I want to upgrade to VUL
My reseller claims that I have to buy 1 year of socket license and the 4 year subscription (I want 4 years)

BUT can it be right that I have to buy both 1 year of socket license and the 4 year subscription, then I buy for year 1, twice ???

Hope you understand my question

Thanks
Flemming
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Hello! Correct, you don't need to pay twice for the same year. Seems your Reseller is confused, they should reach out to their Veeam channel sales rep for clarification. Thanks!