Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
ColtsFanMN
Influencer
Liked: never

Questions about v8 upgrade

Post by ColtsFanMN »

Hello, sorry if this is a duplicate.. I searched but didn't find the relevant topics.

I've been having troubles in v7 and am looking to upgrade to v8 CLEAN.. meaning I don't want to import SQL problems in the current DB into my v8 install. Is this going to cause me problems?

Secondly... should I do as above and find I need to import/recover files or a VM from the v7 backups, can I do this using v8 software? In other words, since I am throwing away the v7 history/jobs.. can I import one of my previous versioned backups in v8?

TIA
ColtsFanMN
marco.horstmann
Veeam Software
Liked: 105 times
Full Name: Marco Horstmann

Re: Questions about v8 upgrade

Post by marco.horstmann »

Hi ColtsFanMN,

what trouble do you have upgrading from v7 to v8? Do you have created a support case?

If you make a clean Backup & Replication installation you can create a Backup Repository
with the old path or if backup files was move with a new path and in the Wizard you can
say that he should import the existing backups.

Regards
Marco
Marco Horstmann
Senior System Engineer @ Veeam Software

@marcohorstmann
https://horstmann.in
VMware VCP
NetApp NCIE-SAN for 7-Mode and Clustered Ontap
ColtsFanMN
Influencer
Liked: never

Post by ColtsFanMN »

Unless I routinely truncate several tables (about once a week), my backups fail for "SQL not available" errors. And Yes, this is the solution given to me by the Support team. I'm just thinking that I want to start fresh. Bring no baggage with, if you know what I mean.

As long as I can import my older backups if needed.. I think that I should be good to go.
dellock6
VeeaMVP
Liked: 1932 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 » 2 people like this post

If you need to do a clean install in the same machine, those are the steps:
- write down the backups, as there is no way to export them other than the confiuration backup that you want to avoid
- uninstall both Veeam and SQL
- important, remove any folder in Program Files and ProgramData regarding Veeam and SQL. Especially the SQL database files
- reinstall everything using v8

If you do not remove previous backups and you recreate repositories in the same positions, previous backups will be imported so that you can even map the new jobs to these files, and start the backups from where you left.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1