Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
AshenOne
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Ashen One

Questions on MS SQL Plugin Backups Verification

Post by AshenOne »

Hello,

I'm currently testing scenarios with the MS SQL plugin to perform backups. So far I've been able to generate the backup jobs in the agent and setup a schedule and it seems to be working well. I was wondering if there's any way for me to verify and do health checks to the backups using VEEAM or the plugin similarly to how we manage VM backup jobs? Or would I have to do this manually by writing custom scripts to test restore the databases individually?

In this regards, I'm also looking to write the backup files onto tape weekly, is there any functionality within VEEAM currently that will allow for me to wait for all backup jobs to complete on the repository before copying it to tape similar to how VEEAM jobs are carried out? Or would I have to manually time and schedule the copy to tape on the repository as to ensure the timing when all data has been successfully written to tape?

Thanks for reading and having a look.
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: Questions on MS SQL Plugin Backups Verification

Post by PetrM »

Hello,

The health check for SQL plug-in is an existing feature request but at the moment I cannot give any information about ETA. Anyway, your vote is counted! As a workaround, you can schedule a script or SQL Agent Job with the CLI restore command. If you do not specify --date parameter, a database will be restored to the time when the latest restore point was created.

The plug-in backups to tape support is one of the most prominent requests for our next releases, it is actual for all application plug-ins including SQL. However, ETA is yet to be determined. As a workaround, you may try file to tape job.

Thanks!
AshenOne
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Ashen One

Post by AshenOne » 1 person likes this post

Hello PetrM,

Thanks for getting back to me. In regards to the features, those I think would be really handy to have integrated similarly to how VEEAM currently health checks the VM backups. I''ll look forward to seeing them possibly in the future then but in the meantime, I'll have a look at your suggestions and see how it goes. File-to-Tape jobs allows for VSS processing aware so I think it should be okay? Since it'll snapshot the files in consistent state before writing it to tape, I'll possibly set a script to run verify backup using restore with a time gap before when it's all written to tape.
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Post by PetrM »

Hi Ashen,

You're very welcome! Many thanks for your requests and your feedback!

Yes, I think F2T job should be OK but since it's a workaround, I recommend to carefully test all possible restore scenarios before implementing this solution in prod.

Thanks!