Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
bass_lure
Novice
Liked: never

Quick Question about Backup Objects

Post by bass_lure »

I had a quick question. Long story short, I have two PCs. I renamed PC #2 to have the same name as PC #1. I then renamed PC #1 to something different. Veeam B&R is now treating these two as if they are the same object. How does Veeam deal with backup objects having the same name? It seems to me that it negates one of the objects entirely. Any insight into this would be helpful. Thanks!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Quick Question about Backup Objects

Post by foggy »

Veeam B&R tracks VMs based on their ID's, not names, names are not that important. Could you please clarify what do you mean it is treating them as if they are the same object?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

And just to clarify - are you talking about virtual or physical machines? Thanks.
bass_lure
Novice

Post by bass_lure »

I am referring to the physical machines that I am trying to backup. Veeam lists them as both having the same object name. I can see this if I go to the Backup & Replication tab on the bottom left, then click on "Disk" in the dropdown menu underneath "Backups" on the left-hand side menu. The agents that are being backup up are listed here and if I check the properties of any of these agents, it will list the Object and the Owner. A quick check of the two PC's in question lead me to believe that they have different Owner's but not different Objects. Image of the problem agent: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zbdog9 ... sp=sharing

What keeps happening is that both PC's create entirely new backups every single time they run the backup job. I think this has something to do with the fact that both are sharing the same Object as you can see.

Austin
bass_lure
Novice

Post by bass_lure »

I have already tried deleting the agent configuration from disk and rescanning the repository. I have also tried renaming both folders on the repository where both PC's are storing their files after backing up. I have lastly reinstalled Veeam Agent on both machines and reconfigured the backup through Veeam agent on both machines. Nothing has worked for me yet.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Not sure about what exact actions that you'd taken led to the described behaviour. And it's rather hard to suggest any remedy action at this point.

My recommendation would be to reach our support team and let them investigate it directly (chances are, there are stuck references in configuration db or something).

Thanks.