Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
r.mckeon
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Rick McKeon

Quick verification of backups/replicas

Post by r.mckeon »

This might be a silly question, but if I want to quickly and manually verify the integrity of my VM backups and replicas, would it suffice if I started the "Restore Guest Files" wizard and browse through the VM's file system from say the day before, and maybe try to restore a file or folder? Would this sufficiently prove that the backup or replica is safe to use for restoration in the case of a disaster?

NB. I am aware of SureBackup and Application Groups I'm just seeing if this is a suitable alternative.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Quick verification of backups/replicas

Post by veremin »

The recoverability of specific VM can be validated via Instant VM Recovery. As to granular data restore, the FLR should suffice, indeed. But recommended approach still implies SureBackup functionality, as it allows you to avoid manual tedious tasks.

Thanks.
r.mckeon
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Rick McKeon

Post by r.mckeon »

v.Eremin wrote:The recoverability of specific VM can be validated via Instant VM Recovery. As to granular data restore, the FLR should suffice, indeed. But recommended approach still implies SureBackup functionality, as it allows you to avoid manual tedious tasks.
But in the case of a production environment where everything is working fine but I just want to check the recoverability of a VM (and I don't have SureBackup available), if I do an Instant VM Recovery it will affect my production environment no? That's why I used file-level restore as an example as it doesn't affect the production servers in any way.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Instant Recovery does indeed require some resources in your environment. FLR can be used to perform some basic verification of basic file system consistency, however does not guarantee recoverability of the entire VM.