Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
mr2nut123
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time

RD1000 Backup

Post by mr2nut123 »

Case ID #01105134

I have just logged the fault which I'm sure will be resolved efficiently as always, but I wondered if any other guys had this issue recently? My RD1000 backup has been running fine for months overwriting old backups as and when required as I configured it as rotated media and allowed overwrite on the file copy job, but just recently it keeps reporting 'Not enough free space on destination, additional (#GB) needed'.

I have the latest update 3 installed on v8 too. This issue started occurring BEFORE I installed this however.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: RD1000 Backup

Post by foggy »

Any chance the full backup just has increased in size with time so that it does not fit the drive anymore? When do you see this message?
mr2nut123
Enthusiast

Post by mr2nut123 »

foggy wrote:Any chance the full backup just has increased in size with time so that it does not fit the drive anymore? When do you see this message?
Hi Alexander,

The backup size has increased slightly, but not that much. The cartridges are 1TB and a full backup is only 247-249GB each. There are two .vbks which get backed up each night as I've set the local backup job to keep only one restore point. Should it not copy both files to the cartridge each night, then realise it will need to wipe it to fit them on next time?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

What files do you have on the rotated drive and what are retention settings for the backup copy job pointing to it (is it a backup copy job?)?
mr2nut123
Enthusiast

Post by mr2nut123 »

foggy wrote:What files do you have on the rotated drive and what are retention settings for the backup copy job pointing to it (is it a backup copy job?)?
So I have a local backup job which points to D:\Backup. In there, are two .vbk files at a time. From what I can see which Veeam, even if you set it to only keep one restore point, there's always two files with a reversed incremental backup, right..? I then have a second job which is a simple file copy job. This points to D:\Backup so any files in there get shoved onto an RD each night. The client has 5 of them and swaps them each weekday.

I tried the whole backup copy job but I had even more issues with the RD getting full to be honest.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

mr2nut123 wrote:From what I can see which Veeam, even if you set it to only keep one restore point, there's always two files with a reversed incremental backup, right..?
It should create a rollback first and then remove it according to retention, after the successful job run.
mr2nut123 wrote:I then have a second job which is a simple file copy job. This points to D:\Backup so any files in there get shoved onto an RD each night. The client has 5 of them and swaps them each weekday.
Well, file copy job is not the right way of doing what you're trying to do, to be honest. Check the drives, chances are the VBK file name has changed recently - file copy overwrites existing files and copies new ones.
mr2nut123
Enthusiast

Post by mr2nut123 »

foggy wrote:Well, file copy job is not the right way of doing what you're trying to do, to be honest. Check the drives, chances are the VBK file name has changed recently - file copy overwrites existing files and copies new ones.
That's what I was trying to achieve there. It USED to delete the old files and replace them but then just stopped working. Are you suggesting that I should configure my RD backup to be a backup copy job then?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

Probably there was some cleaning up script running prior to the job?

You could create a new repository, enable rotated drives option for it, and run backup copy job against it. Each drive will contain a proper chain of incremental backups, however you could switch to a single full per drive with the registry key.
mr2nut123
Enthusiast

Post by mr2nut123 »

Ok so something strange since installing patch 3. I removed the two previous backup files and then ran the job multiple times and it now works correctly, in that it only ever have one .vbk in the local hard drive backup repository! That's hopefully cured that issue. Perhaps I can now add the RD as a backup copy job then now.

Do you always suggest adding the ForceDeleteBackupFiles reg key to a value of 3 if you're running a backup copy job with rotated media? I'm guessing you WOULDN'T create this key if for example your backup copy job was going to a static NAS..? Hope I've explained that ok :)
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Not necessarily. If you do not specify the key, the job will create a chain of increments on each of the rotated drives (initial full + increment during each subsequent cycle).
mr2nut123
Enthusiast

Post by mr2nut123 »

foggy wrote:Not necessarily. If you do not specify the key, the job will create a chain of increments on each of the rotated drives (initial full + increment during each subsequent cycle).
Will it realise when the next backup job won't fit on the drive and remove the oldest files?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

You can set whatever retention you want for it and configure space notifications for repository as well.