Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
mr2nut123
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time

RD1000 backups

Post by mr2nut123 »

I have a local backup that is running perfectly fine, and keeps two restore points. I then have a backup copy job that also keeps 2 copies (can't be set to 1...can it..?). For some reason the RD keeps getting full and I keep finding like 4 or 5 copies on there. I thought by specifying to keep only two copies on the RD, it would do so? Am I missing something?

This isn't an error or technical issue, simply a question :-)
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: RD1000 backups

Post by Shestakov » 1 person likes this post

Hello,
Yes, 2 is the minimal number of restore points for backup copy job.
What backup method are you using for the source backup job? The behavior is expected for forward incremental one.
Thanks!
mr2nut123
Enthusiast

Post by mr2nut123 »

Shestakov wrote:Hello,
Yes, 2 is the minimal number of restore points for backup copy job.
What backup method are you using for the source backup job? The behavior is expected for forward incremental one.
Thanks!
Thanks for the super quick reply :-)

It's most definitely a reverse incremental backup. I tend to use this for all deployments now, it's a great idea.
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Reverse incremental should have exact number of restore points as it set in the job settings. Is RD1000 a target for a backup or backup copy job?
I would recommend to try out Forever Forward Incremental Backup method, since it`s less resource consuming than reverse incremental one. More info is here.
Thanks!
mr2nut123
Enthusiast

Post by mr2nut123 »

Shestakov wrote:Reverse incremental should have exact number of restore points as it set in the job settings. Is RD1000 a target for a backup or backup copy job?
I would recommend to try out Forever Forward Incremental Backup method, since it`s less resource consuming than reverse incremental one. More info is here.
Thanks!
So I have a backup set to my local backup repository (D:\backups) and then the RD1000 backup points to the UNC path of the RD1000 itself (\\hostname\'RD1000sharename') I've set this up a few times before but on version 7 with the registry keys to allow rotated media. You don't need to do this on v8 do you..?
Shestakov
Veteran

Got it.
You are correct, rotated drives functionality can be enabled with a checkbox in the advanced backup repository settings, as opposed to being controlled by registry settings (which are still supported for upgrade compatibility reasons).
Thanks!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

If backup copy retention setting is being ignored, I recommend contacting support to take a closer look at your setup. Thanks.
mr2nut123
Enthusiast

Post by mr2nut123 »

Shestakov wrote:Got it.
You are correct, rotated drives functionality can be enabled with a checkbox in the advanced backup repository settings, as opposed to being controlled by registry settings (which are still supported for upgrade compatibility reasons).
Thanks!
:oops:

I didn't enable 'this repository is backed up by rotated hard drives' option in the advanced repository settings. This will be why it keeps creating new files and not removing anything older than 2 days then? Doh!
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

It may be a reason.
However, if you used registry key settings in previous version, it should still work without the checkbox after upgrading to v8.
Could you specify what types of files, including dates you have on your RD100? Thanks!
mr2nut123
Enthusiast

Post by mr2nut123 »

Shestakov wrote:It may be a reason.
However, if you used registry key settings in previous version, it should still work without the checkbox after upgrading to v8.
Could you specify what types of files, including dates you have on your RD100? Thanks!
It was a fresh install on this Server so no previous registry keys :-)
Shestakov
Veteran

Yes, in a case of installation from the scratch you need to fill the check-box to enable rotation.
Looks like the issue is found :)
mr2nut123
Enthusiast

Post by mr2nut123 »

Shestakov wrote:Yes, in a case of installation from the scratch you need to fill the check-box to enable rotation.
Looks like the issue is found :)
Cheers for the quick shout buddy, much appreciated. When you're so busy, simple things sometimes catch you out ;-)
Shestakov
Veteran

No problem!
Once you have a question, don`t hesitate asking!