Re-ip at DR Site

Availability for the Always-On Enterprise

Re: Re-ip at DR Site

Veeam Logoby Alan_ORiordan » Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:38 pm

Alexander (foggy)

Thanks, but then why was the DNS A record removed from Live site DNS and added to DR site DNS without my input?

Also why did the failed over DNS A record not replicate back to Live if it was in the DR DC's AD integrated DNS forward lookup file?

Alan
Alan_ORiordan
Enthusiast

Liked: 17 times
Full Name: Alan ORiordan

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:16 pm

Hi Alan,

Veeam does not "touch" source VMs, and cannot change DNS or IP settings.

Alan_ORiordan wrote:After undoing failover all returned to normal, the replica was powered down by Veeam and DNS was sorted out at the LIVE (source) site and DR site. I had to power back on the source VM presumably because that was the state it was in when it was failed over.
Also why did the failed over DNS A record not replicate back to Live if it was in the DR DC's AD integrated DNS forward lookup file?

Did you use failback or undo-failover option in the Veeam backup console?

Thanks!
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1120 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Veeam Logoby Alan_ORiordan » Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:24 am

I used undo failover on this occasion. I will test failback to production next. I need get a feel for how long it will take to failback production machines following our first DR test using Veeam over a 10MBit link.

I can understand that the server would register its Re-IP'd settings on it's boot up at DR but not why that change would then not be replicated back to other sites DNS servers just removed? Perhaps that is an issue for my own separate research, it's just when you said i should "configure DNS on failover manually" that had me wondering what you meant, I understood that as manually re-creating new A records for failed over machines which could get messy if not careful.

From reading other posts in this thread I also wonder what happens with failed over Domain Controllers and Exchange servers which will have other A records (Autodiscover, Mailgate) and SRV records etc. I can see that you would change the DC's AD Site should the failover be permanent otherwise AD replication may not work properly during a temporary failover. Are there any articles that discuss DNS specifically during failover for DC's etc.

Thank you for your commitment to answering forum posts, it's a big help.
Alan_ORiordan
Enthusiast

Liked: 17 times
Full Name: Alan ORiordan

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:52 am

Alan_ORiordan wrote:I used undo failover on this occasion. I will test failback to production next. I need get a feel for how long it will take to failback production machines following our first DR test using Veeam over a 10MBit link.

Yes, you should be using failback if you want changes to be replicated back from the DR site to the production environment.

Take a look at our on-line help center for more details > http://helpcenter.veeam.com/backup/80/v ... lback.html

Alan_ORiordan wrote:I can understand that the server would register its Re-IP'd settings on it's boot up at DR but not why that change would then not be replicated back to other sites DNS servers just removed? Perhaps that is an issue for my own separate research, it's just when you said i should "configure DNS on failover manually" that had me wondering what you meant, I understood that as manually re-creating new A records for failed over machines which could get messy if not careful.

Yes, I'm also wondering why you have these records removed. You can use two addresses for all your production VMs, and in this case doing the failover will not change the DNS server records and your VMs will be accessible via alternative address.
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1120 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Veeam Logoby BHB3805 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:29 pm

I also have experienced where DNS records are removed from the production environment after powering on a replica virtual machine in an isolated network. Has me puzzled. Anyone else seeing this issue? Any resolution?
BHB3805
Influencer

Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Dan Andryszak

Veeam Logoby rstuart » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:33 am

Can you clarify what you mean by "you can use two addresses for all your production VMs"?

Do you mean adding a second static DNS record for the each VM? For instance, server1.domain.local 192.168.10.40(Prod site) and server1.domain.local 192.168.20.40(DR site)?
rstuart
Lurker

Liked: never
Full Name: Robert Stuart

Veeam Logoby DGrinev » Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:53 pm

Hi Robert and welcome to the community!

rstuart wrote:Do you mean adding a second static DNS record for the each VM?

Yes, that's correct or you can manually configure DNS after the failover. Thanks!
DGrinev
Veeam Software

Liked: 63 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Previous

Return to Veeam Backup & Replication