Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
odge
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Matthew Ogden

Realistic Expectations on replica over wireless link.

Post by odge »

Hi There,

I have a lot of data to backup over a wireless link. Presently the destination server is an ESXi host, and the method will be replicas.

The link gives about 25MBps/sec, with latency around 5ms.

The data that is replicated nightly includes exchange which has a 35GB file that is always modified, I've noticed this seems mean that the entire file gets copied. But I suspect changed data would amount to about 100GB a night, if not more.

If there were 100GB of changed files, and everything was efficient (which I notice its not really), it should take about 9 hours.

Currently over a 1GB network it only seems to replicate to the host at about 15-20 MB, but I think this is because the BBU is being replaced, so it should be better onces its in.

We have the potential for about $2500 dollars to upgrade the link theoretically to about 400Mbps.

Would you suggest we do so, or look at any other products to help with the WAN replication. Is there anything else I should be aware of?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6704 times

Re: Realistic Expectations on replica over wireless link.

Post by Gostev »

With v5, ESXi is not an optimal target to replicate to (plenty of existing topics discussing this). I suggest you either replace your target with ESX, or wait for our upcoming v6 to be released (Q4 this year).
odge
Veeam ProPartner

Post by odge »

HI Gostev,

Thanks for replying so quickly.

I hear you on ESXi not being optimal, currently it works, but not very fast. I was also looking for some advice regarding the cost of upgrading a wireless link, or going with some other HyperIP or riverbed etc? (I have no idea of WAN optimisation costs)

What will the cost of upgrading Veeam v5 to Veeam version 6 be? I assume there is no software protection (even in the first year).

Out of interest, what is the primary difference that will make version 6 copy faster to ESXi?

Kind Regards
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

odge wrote:I was also looking for some advice regarding the cost of upgrading a wireless link, or going with some other HyperIP or riverbed etc?
There are plenty of existing topics with Hyper IP and Riverbed implementation examples, please search these forums for more details on the cost etc.
odge wrote:What will the cost of upgrading Veeam v5 to Veeam version 6 be? I assume there is no software protection (even in the first year).
All customers with active maintenance agreement in force are eligible to upgrade to v6 free of charge. If needed, please check your maintenance status with our sales rep, but as far as I remember first year of maintenance is included with any purchase.
odge wrote:Out of interest, what is the primary difference that will make version 6 copy faster to ESXi?
I'm afraid we cannot share all the details yet, as we keep implementation details secret until the product goes GA for competitive reasons.
odge
Veeam ProPartner

Post by odge »

Thanks for your time
st0623
Technology Partner
Liked: never
Full Name: Steve Thompson

Post by st0623 »

odge wrote:
I hear you on ESXi not being optimal, currently it works, but not very fast. I was also looking for some advice regarding the cost of upgrading a wireless link, or going with some other HyperIP or riverbed etc? (I have no idea of WAN optimisation costs)
Odge,
We can give you an idea of cost for HyperIP. We have a lot of experience improving peformance of backup/recovery over wireless links. HyperIP's specialty is removing the effects of latency on a wireless link and recovering packet loss to move near 90% of the link's bandwidth. Reach out to mitch.leskela@netex.com and he'll give you pricing.
Regards,
Steve Thompson
HyperIP team at NetEx Software
steve.thompson@netex.com