Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
nadia2688
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: nadia2688

Recommendation of Veeam Design in a Service Provider

Post by nadia2688 »

Hi all,

I'm working in setting a Infrastructure of Veeam Backup & Replication in a Service Provider and I want to know the recommendations for the deployment of the backup repository?.

I'm thinking to implement Veeam Backup Server in a virtual machine and replicate this machine to other location, the backup proxy in a virtual machine with the hot-add transport mode and the backup repository in a physical server with Fiber Channel.

Do you consider this a good deployment for a service provider? How can I identify the system requirements for the backup repository (memory, CPU).

The system requirements for a Veeam Backup Repository says 4GB RAM , plus up to 2 GB RAM (32-bit OS) or up to 4 GB RAM (64-bit OS) for each
concurrent job . ¿How can I identify the memory requirements for a Service Provider deployment if this is a new service and I don't know the size of the clients backup files.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Recommendation of Veeam Design in a Service Provider

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi,

Are you truing to setup Cloud Connect infrastructure or you would like to use regular backup infrastructure to provide backup as a service to your clients? In the system requirements document it says the number of backup jobs targeted to the backup repository, so I assume you can predict that number based on the amount of clients you're going to subscribe to your services.

Thanks!
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

If you're talking about usage of Cloud Connect, kindly, apply to the dedicated VCP section of these forums (Go to the User Control Panel of this forum, select User Groups in the tabs, select "Veeam Cloud Provider" and finally the "Join selected" option). There questions regarding proper configuration of CC are discussed, also, you'll be able to find reference architecture guide there.

Thanks.
nadia2688
Novice

Post by nadia2688 »

Thanks Vitaliy S. and v.Eremin,
In the beggining we want to use a regular backup infrastructure to provide backup as a service to our clients and manage ourself this infrastructure, in the future we want to use Cloud Connect.
In this case what are the recommendation for a regular backup infrastructure in a service provider? physical proxys and backup repository? or we can use virtual proxy and only a physical backup repository?.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Since you're not using Cloud Connect now, you will have to use VPN connection to your clients sites where Veeam backup servers are installed unless you're going to host these VMs in your infrastructure.

You can use either physical or virtual, depending on the available hardware. Physical proxy servers would make sense if you use direct SAN mode via FC, in all other cases you can go with virtual ones.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

And as Vitaliy's mentioned, firstly you should decide how many jobs you're going to create and how many of them will be running simultaneously. Having this number allow you to tweak these system requirements appropriately. Thanks.
nadia2688
Novice

Post by nadia2688 »

Thanks Vitaly S. and v.Eremin,

I'm new in Veeam and this is my first implementation, so I have a few doubts,
I know how many clients we are going to offer this solution, but How I know the simultaneously job recommended value? ¿ Can you tell me an example?
If I choose a physical server, how can I provide high availability for this component, Can I use Windows Failover Cluster or a similar solution?.

Thanks!!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

nadia2688 wrote:I know how many clients we are going to offer this solution, but How I know the simultaneously job recommended value? ¿ Can you tell me an example?
There're no general recommendations on the number of concurrently running jobs, it is typically defined by the available backup window, the number of VMs and their disks, etc.
nadia2688 wrote:If I choose a physical server, how can I provide high availability for this component, Can I use Windows Failover Cluster or a similar solution?.
While there's no good reason to implement proxy failover processes (better have several proxies, since on a proxy failure, a job will be assigned to another one), there's a suggestion for HA of the repository server (see in the middle of #2 section).
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Also if you're not using direct SAN access as a backup mode, then go with virtual machines as Veeam backup components and then either protect them with Veeam or enable FT feature in vSphere.