Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
dekkar
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Nathan Tong

Recommendation on very basic backup

Post by dekkar »

Hi, I have a backup job that backs a few servers up every night. I dont need any restore points or anything like that. Its only backing up to a USB disk, so very slow single spindle performance.

I've setup a generic backup, and its all working OK. The backup process takes around 3 hours, but the merge process is taking twice as long as that. I'm presuming because of the woeful IO of the target.

Ideally I'd like it to just append to the current backup, but it looks like I can only configure it with 1 restore point, hence the merge. Performing a full backup takes over 24hrs, so that isnt really an option.

Is there a more efficient way of backing up these VMs?

Thanks,
Nathan
tdewin
Veeam Software
Liked: 646 times
Full Name: Timothy Dewin

Re: Recommendation on very basic backup

Post by tdewin »

I guess if the environment is not that big, and you can format the drive as ReFS, you might consider ReFS. In this case, the merges will be done by change pointers to data instead of actually reading and writing the data.
https://www.veeam.com/blog/advanced-ref ... suite.html

Although a small warning, we have plenty of topics about ReFS using a lot of memory etc. If you consider it, be sure to use a 64KB blocksize and keep your server patched at all time. A major update from Microsoft is coming up that should solve a lot of issues with bigger environments.
dekkar
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Nathan Tong

Re: Recommendation on very basic backup

Post by dekkar »

Hi tdewin, thanks for the reply. I will look into this as an option.