Recommendations for backup storage, backup target

Availability for the Always-On Enterprise

Re: Recommendations for backup storage, backup target

Veeam Logoby k00laid » Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:49 pm

I ran into corruption as well but that had to do with the formatting, once done correctly it has worked perfectly (knocking on wood now) for over a year.
k00laid
Veeam Vanguard

Liked: 29 times
Full Name: Jim Jones

Veeam Logoby lsumarkb » Mon May 11, 2015 8:43 pm

I did a quick google search and I don't see an "/L" modifier. Can you elaborate on the formatting, @k00laid?

@Gostev - If I understand you correctly, your recommended setup would be a physical windows 2012 R2 box that is loaded with drives and all Veeam roles are installed on it? We have our iSCSI storage network split off onto its own switch for vSphere 5.5. Would I hooked this server into that network or does veeam require it to be on the management/vm network?

Thanks for the help!
lsumarkb
Novice

Liked: never
Full Name: Mark T Breaux

Veeam Logoby foggy » Mon May 11, 2015 9:05 pm

lsumarkb wrote:I did a quick google search and I don't see an "/L" modifier. Can you elaborate on the formatting, @k00laid?

By default, NTFS volumes are formatted with small size file records. This switch enables formatting with larger ones. A good blog post on that, btw.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1054 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Veeam Logoby lsumarkb » Mon May 11, 2015 9:39 pm

@foggy - Thank you sir! If I use ReFS with storage spaces then I don't have to worry about that I assume?
lsumarkb
Novice

Veeam Logoby foggy » Tue May 12, 2015 1:06 pm

Then you don't have to worry about both points mentioned by Jim, since deduplication is also not supported on ReFS. ;)
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1054 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Veeam Logoby lsumarkb » Tue May 12, 2015 7:17 pm

Really?! Missed that in the many articles I have been reading on storage spaces, deduplication, and ReFS. MS dropped the ball on that one. Thanks Foggy.
lsumarkb
Novice

[MERGED] Hard Drive & RAID Recommendations

Veeam Logoby vaicsimmons » Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:20 pm

I am setting up Veeam B&R on a new server with local hard drives attached. The server will be running Windows Server 2012 R2 and uses a Supermicro chasis w/ 12 bays and an LSI 9260 connected to the backplane. I planned on using either 4 or 6 TB drives. We are a SMB that has about 1.5 TB of data in total.

I would like to keep 14 daily incrementals, 4 weekly fulls, 12 monthly fulls and 7 yearly fulls. Our file server is pretty stagnant so I don't expect much growth there. I have an Exchange server that houses roughly 50 mailboxes with a database size no larger than 80 GB along with a SQL server that holds less than 10 databases consuming no more than 15 GB. Our business hours are M-F 8:00-5:00. Therefore, my backup window is pretty large on the weekdays and then all weekend long as well.

This server will be kept in the same rack as my ESXi hosts. I will probably end up buying a Synology or Netgear NAS and placing that in another building of ours that s about 1/4 mile down the road and connected via fiber and doing a backup copy job. This will allow me to get my backups offsite as well.

With all of that said, I have a few questions:

1. Should I use SAS or SATA drives and why?

2. Should I spend more for Enterprise class drives or not and why?

3. Any particular brand preferred....HGST, WD, Seagate?

4. Due to my large backup window, is it preferred to roll with RAID 6 to allow for a larger array vs RAID 10?

I am also considering using Windows 2012 R2 deduplication on the volume storing my weekly, monthly and yearly backups. Any comments / feedback using Windows dedup is appreciated as well.
vaicsimmons
Influencer

Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Chris Simmons

Veeam Logoby Shestakov » Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:32 pm

Hello Chris,

Most of answers can be found in the thread above. Please review and ask additional questions if you have any.
vaicsimmons wrote:Due to my large backup window, is it preferred to roll with RAID 6 to allow for a larger array vs RAID 10?

RAID 10 is a recommended approach due to better performance.

vaicsimmons wrote:I am also considering using Windows 2012 R2 deduplication on the volume storing my weekly, monthly and yearly backups. Any comments / feedback using Windows dedup is appreciated as well.

Here is a great related topic. Please take a look. Thanks!
Shestakov
Veeam Software

Liked: 362 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Veeam Logoby m.novelli » Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:07 pm

NLSAS disks (similar to WD Red Pro)
RAID 5 + 1 hot spare
m.novelli
Veeam ProPartner

Liked: 35 times
Full Name: Marco Novelli

Veeam Logoby vaicsimmons » Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:58 pm

m.novelli wrote:NLSAS disks (similar to WD Red Pro)
RAID 5 + 1 hot spare

Just curious....why RAID 5??? Just about every opinion that I have read said to stay away from RAID 5 as the chances of a hard drive failure upon a rebuild of the array is pretty high. Therefore, you would lose everything that was on the array.
vaicsimmons
Influencer

Full Name: Chris Simmons

Veeam Logoby dellock6 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:13 pm 1 person likes this post

In general, now that disks are becoming bigger and bigger, any raid using disk at least of 3TB should really use double parity or raid10 with multiple disks (which in a way is still a single disk protection, if you loose two disks of the same R1 sub-group, you've lost data). On large data sets, this is the reason why you see at least the usage of RAID6, but with huge write penalty, or for even bigger data sets storage is moving to different technologies (replication over scale-out or erasure coding).
RAID simply can't keep up anymore with such large sets.
Luca Dell'Oca
EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
http://www.virtualtothecore.com
vExpert 2011-2012-2013-2014-2015-2016
Veeam VMCE #1
dellock6
Veeam Software

Liked: 1280 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:53 pm

Yep. RAID5 was good in early days of small hard drives because of its lower write I/O penalty (lower than RAID6). But these days, most people consider it too risky.
Gostev
Veeam Software

Liked: 2304 times
Full Name: Anton Gostev

Veeam Logoby m.novelli » Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:06 pm

vaicsimmons wrote:
m.novelli wrote:NLSAS disks (similar to WD Red Pro)
RAID 5 + 1 hot spare

Just curious....why RAID 5??? Just about every opinion that I have read said to stay away from RAID 5 as the chances of a hard drive failure upon a rebuild of the array is pretty high. Therefore, you would lose everything that was on the array.

RAID6 write penalty is too high IMHO for a storage dedicated to backups

In 15+ years of IT I've never lost a RAID5... All my servers and storage always have firmware updated (both raid card and disk firmware). I use only Dell PowerEdge servers. In the last years I've prepared many Veeam Backup servers with 2 - 3 - 4 and now 6 TB NLSAS disks, so far so good. I always use an hot spare. On a recent Dell PowerEdge T630 where failed a 6TB disk, the automatic hot spare coverage took about 8 hours to complete the rebuild (it was a RAID5 made of nine 6 TB disks)

I can't see why a disk that get intensive writes during backups should have an higher failure rate due to intensives reads in case of array rebuild...

Marco
m.novelli
Veeam ProPartner

Liked: 35 times
Full Name: Marco Novelli

Veeam Logoby GarethUK » Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:00 am 1 person likes this post

HI,

Another big thumbs up for Dell R720xd and Windows 2012R2. I'm not using deduplication.

We're using Dell R720xd fully populated with an additional tray with both raid sets in a raid 60.

To then add some spice to the mix we create a single 48TB storage space across the whole lot to create a 48TB repo.

We obviously replicate to another date center and I've seen throughput across the network as high as 6-7Gbps.

We previously used a 120TB ZFS appliance but that was truly awful with Veeam.

Regards,

Gareth
GarethUK
Influencer

Full Name: Gareth

Veeam Logoby gkennedy » Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:37 am

@GarethUK - do you mind if I PM you regarding your setup. We have the same hardware and looking at doing a similar thing. Would you mind?

Cheers,
Gav
gkennedy
Influencer

Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Gavin Kennedy

PreviousNext

Return to Veeam Backup & Replication