Recommendations for backup storage, backup target

Availability for the Always-On Enterprise

Re: Recommendations for backup storage, backup target

Veeam Logoby dellock6 » Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:42 am 1 person likes this post

Both setup will work fine, which one to choose depends on your environment. The best speed can be usually achieved via DirectSAN, so the important part is that the proxy role is installed in the physical machine, but this machine also needs to be connected to the storage fabric (iscsi or FC, NFS will arrive in v9).
The central console can be deployed in a VM and act as a control machine, and also as a hotadd proxy at least for restores (hotadd restores are quicker than network mode restores, direct san restores are only possible in few situations).
Luca Dell'Oca
EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
http://www.virtualtothecore.com
vExpert 2011-2012-2013-2014-2015-2016
Veeam VMCE #1
dellock6
Veeam Software

Liked: 1381 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Veeam Logoby ryanp » Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:19 pm

Would there be any negatives to making the repository a virtual machine running on the free version of ESXi?
ryanp
Service Provider

Liked: never
Full Name: Ryan Prasanphanich

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:09 am

Big one. Impossible to easily get to your backups if that ESXi host dies.
Gostev
Veeam Software

Liked: 2411 times

[MERGED] Cheap storage recommendations for archives

Veeam Logoby ITesus » Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:01 pm

I am hoping the community here can share their advice and insight regarding potential storage solutions for archiving copy jobs. Our current array only has enough storage for our daily fulls with 14-21 restore points. We also replicate with Veeam over a 100 Mbps dedicated ethernet connection to a DR site, but that array only has enough space to store the replicas. I need somewhere archive my file copies for additional restore points.

I ran a copy job against our daily fulls and the size was 6.6 TB data, 5.1 TB after compression. Ideally I’d like to have weeklies, monthlies, and a yearly saved to disk. Correct me if I’m wrong, but with the file copy job set for that scenario I’d have 3 weeklies, 11 monthlies, and 1 yearly. That’s 15 total fulls. At 5.1 TBs that’s 76.5 TBs plus change and overhead.

Unfortunately, my budget for this portion of the project is hovering around $4,000, so it’s looking like I’ll have to trim my ideal plan down to something more realistic - perhaps monthlies only at best or even more likely, something like quarterlies or possibly something in between like a copy job every 6 weeks.

Performance is not an issue whatsoever as this will ONLY be for storing copy jobs. It could be large disks with RAID 6 parity penalties, etc. I don’t really care if it’s a standalone NAS like Synology, etc or if it’s a rack mount 4U chassis like what I’ve seen on the Backblaze site. I really just need the most bang for my buck. I doubt that there is an online solution that would work, but I certainly am open to one though I only have a 30 Mbps internet connection to upload and download with. Whatever the solution, I definitely would require it to have some sort of option for expansion down the road as I’ll eventually have more money in the budget to add on to it with.

So, any suggestions on how to maximize the storage I can buy with that $4,000? I’d love to hear what others are doing. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
ITesus
Influencer

Liked: 3 times

Veeam Logoby Shestakov » Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:05 am

Hello ITesus,
ITesus wrote:Correct me if I’m wrong, but with the file copy job set for that scenario I’d have 3 weeklies, 11 monthlies, and 1 yearly. That’s 15 total fulls. At 5.1 TBs that’s 76.5 TBs plus change and overhead.

I suppose we are talking about Backup copy job, not the File copy, assuming mentioned GFS settings?
You also haven`t provided the restore points numbers you set, so it`s impossible to say how many full backups you will have. Cloud you clarify?

As for storage recommendations, please review the topic and ask additional questions if you have any. Thanks!
Shestakov
Veeam Software

Liked: 430 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Veeam Logoby james411 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:17 pm

Gostev wrote:Big one. Impossible to easily get to your backups if that ESXi host dies.

I might be missing something, but why would this be specific to running virtualized. If its just a physical host with Windows installed bare metal and the host dies, isn't he going to have just as hard a time retrieving his backups?
james411
Enthusiast

Liked: 1 time

Veeam Logoby foggy » Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:22 pm

Virtualization adds one more layer to the restore process, since you would need to fire up ESXi host first and then restore the VM to get access to backups inside it.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1133 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Veeam Logoby ITesus » Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:33 pm

Shestakov wrote:I suppose we are talking about Backup copy job, not the File copy, assuming mentioned GFS settings?
You also haven`t provided the restore points numbers you set, so it`s impossible to say how many full backups you will have. Cloud you clarify?

I guess I didn't make that clear because I may not fully understand the difference - is a backup copy job simply a file copy with restore points? I currently have it set to 2 restore points which is the lowest it will go. I'm not quite sure why I would need restore points when the weekly/monthly/yearly are the restore points. If I set it to 7 would I have incrementals for each day in the weekly? At any rate, is my math correct if I have it set to 2? Should I just be using file copy jobs?
ITesus
Influencer

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:24 pm

Nope, it is not. Kindly, see explanation provided here. And ask for additional clarification after that, if required. Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 1027 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Veeam Logoby Shestakov » Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:19 pm

Simple, short-term backup copy retention works in accordance with the synchronization period. GFS restore points are designed for historical backups.
Detailed information is provided here. Thanks
Shestakov
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby ITesus » Fri Sep 11, 2015 4:40 pm

I have read both links and I still do not completely understand what the restore points setting is for on a backup copy job if the restore points for weekly, monthly, quarterly, and yearly are already set in the section below. How is it not redundant? In my scenario I have 3 weekly, 11 monthly, and 1 yearly. That's 15 copies or restore points. So, if I set restore points to keep to 2, does it only keep 2 of the 15 points I have set? Am I supposed to set it to 15? Or is it that if I set it to 30 it will keep 2 years of my GFS rotation before deleting old points? If that were the case I would think it wouldn't allow you to set fewer restore points than you have specified in the GFS rotation settings, but it does.
ITesus
Influencer

Veeam Logoby alanbolte » Fri Sep 11, 2015 4:53 pm

You cannot switch between forever-incremental retention and GFS fulls, you can only add GFS fulls to the job. So in addition to your 15 full backups for GFS retention, you will have 1 'recent' full backup which is updated as often as the sync interval you set. If you set restore points to 2, you will have one incremental file at all times, and a second incremental file while data is being transferred. This forever-incremental retention setting has no effect on your total number of GFS full backups over the long run, though setting it to a high number will delay the initial creation of the full backups.
alanbolte
Expert

Liked: 172 times
Full Name: Alan Bolte

Veeam Logoby Shestakov » Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:13 pm

Alan is correct.
ITesus wrote:In my scenario I have 3 weekly, 11 monthly, and 1 yearly. That's 15 copies or restore points.

Another great feature of GFS retention is that restore points are not "overlapped". Means if you schedule weekly GFS to be made on Sunday and monthly GFS on (1st or 2nd ect) Sunday of the month. For one of the weeks, you will have 1 restore point marked as Weekly and Monthly.
So even if you set to keep 4 weekly, 12 monthly, 1 yearly accordingly, you will still have 15 backup files. Thanks!
Shestakov
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby ITesus » Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:05 pm

Thank you. I understand perfectly now. And that raises another important point for sizing considerations. So aside from my 15 fulls I will have an additional full and at least 1 incremental along with it. So, sizing for this would be 16 fulls and an incremental. Correct?

Now to decide between the hundreds of different ways to implement cheap storage. I'm tempted to grab a backblaze and start filling it with 3, 4, 5, or maybe even 6 TB disks. No sure if I'd run a Linux distro on it or Storage Spaces for the software raid.
ITesus
Influencer

Veeam Logoby Shestakov » Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:35 pm

ITesus wrote:So aside from my 15 fulls I will have an additional full and at least 1 incremental along with it. So, sizing for this would be 16 fulls and an incremental. Correct?

Yes, your understanding is correct.
Shestakov
Veeam Software

PreviousNext

Return to Veeam Backup & Replication