+1 for adding the ability to restore on deleted files please
67Robbo
Novice

Liked: never
Full Name: Robert Read

Re: Restore only non existing files

Veeam Logoby McPu » Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:42 am

+1

We too were hit by the .odin ransomware about 10 days ago. 200k crypted files on our file server. Using a third party tool I located the changed, not "*.odin" named files and copied them over to a non affected partition. Afterwards i restored the full vmdk file and copied back the changed files manually. Thank god it were only about 50 files.

Anyway this would have been much easier having the "restore only missing files" available!
McPu
Lurker

Veeam Logoby cmorice » Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:03 am

Hello,

I also request a restore option that would restore only files that are “missing”.

Regards.
cmorice
Novice

Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Christophe MORICE

Veeam Logoby janezk » Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:20 am

would be a very useful feature, that would help reduce the RTPO drastically (from several hours towards advertised numbers :shock: )
janezk
Influencer

Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Janez K

Veeam Logoby postmaal » Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:26 pm

+1 The time saved from this feature would be huge.
postmaal
Influencer

Liked: 2 times

Veeam Logoby HolgerE » Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:29 pm

+1
I didn't need this feature of "restore only missing files" in the past. But I would appreciate to have this option in the case I need it. There are situations where this feature could be valuable.
HolgerE
Novice

Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Holger Ernst

Re: Recovering from ransomware

Veeam Logoby yasuda » Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:42 pm

Gostev wrote:If it was, we would probably hear this request more than once in 8 years ;)

Gostev,

I think that is because ransomware is a recent phenomenon. Previously the need to restore stemmed from a drive failure, or a need to roll back changes or deletions. Neither would result in most or all files of limited types (user data, mainly) being corrupted across the entire file system.

We're not seeing signs of ransomware going away, and recovery is a slow, painful process. Not just Veeam; Barracuda Backup and Windows Server Backup are no better. Some good work arounds were presented (I especially like the one about using instant recovery to present the backup as a disk), but it would be really great if Veeam could do that with a FLR option.

Ransomware is by far the leading reason for the file restores we have to do.
yasuda
Enthusiast

Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Peter Yasuda

Veeam Logoby ETJ » Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:36 pm

+1. We've had to go through this process twice now due to CryptoLocker incidents. We leveraged RoboCopy with the Veeam FLR folder given Veeam's inability to perform such a restore through its current integrated functionalities. Hopefully, this will grab the right attention and is a function that will be integrated sooner rather than later.
ETJ
Lurker

Veeam Logoby Trent » Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:23 pm

+1 for restoring missing files
Trent
Lurker

Full Name: Trent Finaldi

[MERGED] Request for option to skip existing files in restor

Veeam Logoby sanderve » Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:34 pm

Today we suffered from a ransomware outbreak. as files get encrypted and renamed to another file extension the most easy way to restore is to restore files to the original location with an option to not overwrite existing files.
This however, is not an existing option in Veeam B&R.
I can only choose to restore to a folder called RESTORED-foldername. This option is not suitable as is fills up disk space.
Veeam support told me to go to the VeeamFLR folder and copy the files from there by means of the Windows explorer. This also is not a very pretty solution in this case.

Can you please insert an option "Skip existing files" ASAP?
sanderve
Novice

Full Name: Sander van Esch

Veeam Logoby fhoffmann » Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:14 pm

Dear Veeam developers,
we also wish you please insert an option "Skip existing files" recursively in VeeamFLR.

I think you got enough NEEDS as input and if implemented even more thankful customers in the near future, since this is an increasing risk due to rising ransomeware hits.
I guess it's not a matter of IF, but only a matter of WHEN one will struggle into this restore scenario.

And keep hands on heart: it should be NOT that difficult to implement, is It?
I guess not :wink: , looking back on what challanges Veeam has taken in the last years.
So, please don't hesitate, go ahead.

Thanks for listening.
fhoffmann
Lurker

Full Name: Frank Hoffmann

Veeam Logoby NetAdMBC » Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:46 pm

Definitely need this option - "restore only missing." I'm trying to do it right now (because of a ransomware infection) and the workarounds are cumbersome - both in Endpoint Backup and in B&R9.
NetAdMBC
Influencer

Veeam Logoby gooey » Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:03 pm

+1
gooey
Novice

Veeam Logoby lowlander » Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:10 am

10 votes for this feature request : "skip existing files" :)

Regarding ransomware : what if the infected file get encrypted without changing the name of the file. It would be nice if we can restore based on an access/time stamp of files.

Also be informed that in Veeam One 9.5 a new alarm is available : Possible ransomware activity. With this alarm Veeam ONE looks for high write rates on datastores along with high CPU Usage.

thanks !
lowlander
Service Provider

Liked: 20 times

PreviousNext

Return to Veeam Backup & Replication