Reducing the Size of Backups

Availability for the Always-On Enterprise

Reducing the Size of Backups

Veeam Logoby mcp33 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:38 am

Hi

Our primary use of Veeam is to backup Exchange Server and so far so good. If I exclude the C: (Database and logs on E: F:) then go into Restore Application items/Exchange (Veeam Explorer) I don't see any Mailbox Stores, is this normal ?
To get round this I just add the database and Logs ( I have to do this for each database). My question is , it is better to backup C or does it not matter ?

Second question or feature is that I only want to back up the Exchange database and logs not the VM itself is there an option to do this ?

Thanks for your input

Mike
mcp33
Novice

Liked: never
Full Name: Mike parker

Re: Reducing the Size of Backups

Veeam Logoby foggy » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:06 am

mcp33 wrote:If I exclude the C: (Database and logs on E: F:) then go into Restore Application items/Exchange (Veeam Explorer) I don't see any Mailbox Stores, is this normal ?

Yes, this is expected, since we cannot find out where the databases are located not having the registry file (which is on disc C:) in backup.

mcp33 wrote:Second question or feature is that I only want to back up the Exchange database and logs not the VM itself is there an option to do this ?

No, Veeam B&R is an image-level solution. You could backup the required files only using Veeam Agent for Windows, though.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1133 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Veeam Logoby PTide » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:11 pm

is there an option to do this ?
Try to use File exclusions/inclusions. It might take much more time to process though.

Thanks
PTide
Veeam Software

Liked: 273 times

Veeam Logoby mcp33 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:41 pm

foggy wrote:No, Veeam B&R is an image-level solution. You could backup the required files only using Veeam Agent for Windows, though.

Ok this makes sense , still even without the C Drive in Place I still have my backups and can restore as normal. I will check out the Windows Agent

Thanks

Mike
mcp33
Novice

Liked: never
Full Name: Mike parker

Return to Veeam Backup & Replication