Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
ober72
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 136 times
Full Name: Geoff Burke

REFS3

Post by ober72 »

Hi Folks,

To be able to leverage the new Fast Clone feature, do I need to create brand new full backups on the REFS3 volume or can I move backups created on NTFS and also take advantage of this?

Thanks
Geoff Burke
VMCA2022, VMCE2023, CKA, CKAD
Veeam Vanguard, Veeam Legend
ober72
Veeam Vanguard

Re: REFS3

Post by ober72 »

Found my answer:

"If you move backups to a backup repository with Fast Clone support, you must perform active full backup for all existing backup chains (manually or automatically by schedule). You can also schedule the backup file compact operation instead of active full backup."

cheers
Geoff Burke
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Post by Gostev »

Or have synthetic full backups performed - retention will eventually get rid of "legacy" full backups while all the new ones will be fast cloned.
ober72
Veeam Vanguard

Post by ober72 »

Thanks Anton,

I was thinking about backup copy jobs, but for local jobs that would be the trick. In fact this new file system really makes the case to going back to weekly synthetic fulls. I remember when Veeam brought out Forever incrementals and the relief at getting away from the long and space consuming synthetic fulls but now with those issues gone the scale tips back over to the side of having a weekly full vbk "just in case" in the chain :)

cheers
Geoff Burke