Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
trackstar
Expert
Liked: 4 times

Relocating vbk & vib for tape backup

Post by trackstar »

Hello,

Can somebody confirm what I am doing is correct in terms of moving the files. Lets say I want to run a active full backup (Exchange) on Sunday. On Monday - Saturday, I will run the daily incremental. During Saturday evening, move all the files (vbk & vib file, total 7) to a directory called "Tape backup". Have my tape backup application (EMC Networker) backup the "Tape backup" directory. Once it is completed, empty that directory. Repeat the cycle again for each week.

Thanks in advance,
TS
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Relocating vbk & vib for tape backup

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello,

Looks good to me, however what about storing backup on the local disk at least for another week? In the DR situation you will be able quickly restore files/VMs/application items without touching tapes at all.

Thanks!
trackstar
Expert

Post by trackstar »

Yea. That would be ideal since our data backup we keep it for 30 days since the Hitachi (BlueArc) has snapshot feature. As of right now, I really don't know what our storage device is due to budget..

This is just off the air question. Currently, our two physical 2003 Exchange servers are being backup with EMC Networker at about 1.8 TB combined a day using full backup each day (to tape). Using Veeam, can somebody guess the size of the backup for a daily full plus 6 incremental backup :).
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

In this case, please take a look at the existing topic of how our existing customers are offloading backup files to tapes: Writing to Tape Help
trackstar wrote:Using Veeam, can somebody guess the size of the backup for a daily full plus 6 incremental backup .
Hard to say...depends on the compression level you're going to use and the content you have in the Exchange server, but generally I would expect 10% of the VM size for daily changes.
trackstar
Expert

Post by trackstar »

Thanks guys. Not sure if we will tap into our Hitachi (BlueArc) SAN unit since since space is very tight. We have a few Dell 2950 servers that were once used as ESXi hosts. Maybe just format them and install Linux and used it as repository.