Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
DaveHprogrammer
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Dave Harrison

REMOTE BACKUPS

Post by DaveHprogrammer »

Hi all,
im so sorry if this has been asked before. i just cant find the answer using the search tool.

I want to use veeam to perform local and remote backups on our VMware servers.

I currently use veeam to backup 800gb to an onsite synology NAS (1 full weekly backup and 6 incremental).
I have a second NAS remotely accessible which works fine for backing up daily, but the 800gb fails each time.

I'm not sure about the synthetic backup. will that do what I need? if I just do incrementals remotely, wont that take like forever to restore if i ever need to use the remote NAS to restore?
i dont understand how to get the remote NAS to auto consolidate its dailys into a full backup.

help!
thanks
Dave
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: REMOTE BACKUPS

Post by foggy »

Hi Dave, what does exactly fail? I guess the job is not able to do an initial transfer of the entire 800GB of data to then be able to perform incrementals only? If that's the case, you can either use seeding or use the longer interval to allow the job to complete (is it a Periodic or Immediate Copy mode, btw?). Also, how do you set up your NAS boxes? I guess both are CIFS repositories in Veeam B&R, so do you have a gateway server for the remote one that is located on the same site (for the optimized data processing)? As to your restore performance concern, then restoring from an incremental chain doesn't affect the restore speed much, do not worry about that - the proper setup is more important.
DaveHprogrammer
Novice

Hi foggy. thanks for the reply.
Sorry my initial question wasn't clear on my setup.

Yes it fails on trying to copy the 800Gb worth of new data on Saturdays, but the daily's work fine.
Office connection speed is 500mbps up and down, whereas my home is only 200mbps down and 80up. (as i'm pushing from office to home, it should be maxing out at 200mbps).
connection between sites is ssl vpn via sophos RED box. (always on VPN).

I dont have a server at home that can do additional processing, is that what's needed? if i setup incrementals, then have a remote server build a weekly full from the incrementals? is that possible?

My current setup is to Veeam backup the data to my local NAS only, then the NAS boxes have a sync function.
I have two synology dc1819+ NAS boxes, they have a shared folder sync which keeps NAS 1 in sync with Nas 2 (you just point one at the other and tell it to sync at a given time each day).

As for restores, I was worried that I have like 180 restore points, (2.8tb) + 800gb would take quite a while to perform a full restore.

tia
Dave
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Just to make sure we're on the same page - you do not have a backup copy job to copy from the local NAS to the remote one but rely on synchronization between the devices instead?
DaveHprogrammer
Novice

yeah, i backup to local NAS, then sync the NAS to my remote NAS.
so instead, i'm trying to find a way to backup successfully to both NAS boxes.

just looking at my options, there is the forever_incremental. whilst this sounds good, i'm curious on how the retention policy works. if at the end of the retention policy it merges the last vib into the full vbk. does that try to re-create the full vbk on the Veeam server to copy to the NAS or would the merge take place on the remote NAS?

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=100
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Without the gateway server located close to the remote NAS all the synthetics will take place over the network - not something you'd really want. You need a server for the Veeam data mover to run on, close to the storage device. In that case, the merge will take place locally.
DaveHprogrammer
Novice

Thanks for this info foggy.
so if I setup a PC at home with Veeam installed, on the same LAN as my NAS. once my Office nas has transferred the files across to the remote NAS there is a way to tell the home veeam to consolidate the vib's into a VBK?
would the free version of veeam do this?

tia
Dave
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 526 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Post by PetrM »

Hi Dave,

You don't need to install Veeam B&R at home but a Windows server which can be added to the backup infrastructure so that you can enable gateway role on it in the repository settings.
In this case, this gateway server hosts Veeam Data Mover which is supposed to perform synthetic operations locally instead of doing it over the network.

You may refer to this page to get more information about backup architecture with gateway server in use.

Thanks!
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

And just to clarify, you do not need to tell Veeam B&R anything, this "consolidation" will occur automatically based on the backup method configured (there's no way to trigger it separately). And yes, this is possible with the free version.
dhammika
Lurker
Full Name: Dhammika Gunawardena

[MERGED] Slow merging Backup Copy

Post by dhammika »

Hi,

My backup copy is very slow at Merging stage and it often runs more than a day.
Backup copy job misses the next schedule.
Actual copying is not slow but merging is.
Remote repository is Synalogy NAS and CPU usage is very low.
What solutions do you suggest?

Many thanks
DG
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2889 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
and welcome to the forums.

I merged your question with one of the existing threads about that topic. Using REFS / XFS (iSCSI volumes instead of SMB), or having a gateway server in the remote site (see above) or switching to active full (Read the entire restore point from source instead of synthesizing it from increments) if you have enough bandwidth are options.

Best regards,
Hannes
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Moreover, these kinds of devices are not good at random I/O in general, so don't expect good merge performance overall.