Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
leo.white
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time

Remote Locations

Post by leo.white »

I have 2 remote locations that i want to backup at the remote site and the use the backup copy to pull the backup back to our main datacenter.

Do i need to install Veeam at the remote site or can i just reach out from our datacenter to setup the job?

Assuming i can reach out to it, If i just add a backup repository(nas at remote site) & the host is that all i need for the local backup to run?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Remote Locations

Post by Vitaliy S. »

You can either deploy Veeam B&R in each site and then manage entire infrastructure via Enterprise Manager. Alternatively, you can deploy proxy servers (to keep VM backup traffic locally in the remote sites) and repository servers in these sites and run backup jobs created via backup console installed on the remote site. The benefit of the first approach is that you will always have your backup jobs running even when the connection to these remotes sites goes down. Thank you!
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

leo.white wrote:Assuming i can reach out to it, If i just add a backup repository(nas at remote site) & the host is that all i need for the local backup to run?
Are you going to use NAS device as a SMB share? If so, make sure to specify for it a proxying server that is located in remote site. Thanks.
leo.white
Enthusiast

Post by leo.white »

I already have a trial setup at the remote site, so i will probably go with option 1.
leo.white
Enthusiast

Post by leo.white »

I believe i have it setup SMB. I tried ISCSI as well. It's a 4 disk Netgear readynas box, so it can do both.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

In general, the ISCSI is preferable, since you wouldn't need a proxying server in this case. Thanks.