baber
Veteran
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Babak Seyedi nejad

remote replica backup and remote replica seeding

Post by baber »

Dear all
Hi

i your document said in a part for difference between remote replica backup and remote replica seeding :
said remote replica seeding use from backup file just once for first replication
and remote replica backup always use from backup file
is that correct ?

i could not understand that's means correctly we just put one full backup on DR site that use it for replica wy said it always use that backup for remote replica backup?

BR
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Re: remote replica backup and remote replica seeding

Post by DGrinev »

Hi,

Replica seeding is used to reduce the amount of transferred data during the initial run of the replication job.
You should put backup of the VM to the target location and that's would be a seed.
Replication from backup means you will replicate VM from the backup chain that you will choose as a source. Thanks!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Right, so these are two different approaches to replication. You can use the backup created in source site to seed the remote replication job (to avoid full replication over the slow link), so that only changes are transferred between the sites during subsequent incremental runs. However, the actual data will be taken from the production VM and it will be snapshotted each time. If you already have a backup sent offsite (f.ex. using backup copy), you can set up a replica running locally at your remote site, right from this backup (not from the production VM).
baber
Veteran
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Babak Seyedi nejad

Post by baber »

is that your means :
1- in replica seeding we use backup file for seeding just once and after that for each replication it use from vm that is in production site?
2- in replica backup always use from backup file means when i get full backup from product vm had to transfer that to target site for use replica machine from this backup do initial sync and also after that for do replication had to get incremental backups from production vm and another transfer that to disaster site thus if i want to had an update replica vm on disaster site had to every day get incremental backup from production vm and transfer that to disaster site and then run replicate ?

Is that correct ?

BR
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

Yes, your understanding is correct.