Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
larry
Veteran
Liked: 97 times
Full Name: Larry Walker

removable harddrives

Post by larry »

When using removable USB hard drives with backup copy jobs is there away to stop the reassigning of drive letters? I have Backup copies running and file copies running and my repository is getting remapped. Then the file copy jobs go to one disk and the backup copy job is sent to the wrong disk. The H: drive is the disk I want used but some of the other disks were used before by the same backup copy job ( a week ago ) , I just have not deleted them yet, and backup copy job changes the repository to a different drive letter ( F most the time ) . I can't find any way of changing the drive letter back. I want the backup copy job to create new files for h: like it was doing when all the drives were new. I need the repository to know it is removable because I delete all the files at start of day but never want the drive letter to change because of the veeam file copy jobs that run as well. I am using Ver 8.0.0.2021.

thanks
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: removable harddrives

Post by foggy »

Larry, could you please describe what is happening more carefully? Am I getting you right that you're inserting the new disk, leaving the previous disk (where the last job run was performed)? Basically, the job should follow the disk even if the drive letter changes. If two disks are concurrently available, it will select the one with the most recent increment.
unsichtbarre
Service Provider
Liked: 39 times
Full Name: John Borhek

Post by unsichtbarre »

In diskpart, if you run the command "automount disable" then drive letters will not be assigned at all. It then becomes necessary to run: diskmgmt.msc every time you attach a new disk and manually assign the drive letter.

-J
John Borhek, Solutions Architect
https://vmsources.com
larry
Veteran

Post by larry »

On Monday I plug in seven new USB drives for the week, the old drive for Sunday is still plugged in. I don't care what drive letter the new drives get, their volume labels are the day of the week and some number. I have a backup copy job that I want to go to the h: drive as well as file copy jobs. All of these drives were once used for this same jobs. I remove the Sunday disk which was h:, change the Monday drive to h: , I delete all the files on the h: drive but when the sync starts it changes the repository drive letter to f: even though a h: drive is mounted and ready.
larry
Veteran

Post by larry »

Let me add the newest drive data is a week + 1 day old , this is a daily job. The drive in h: is blank and where I want the job to go to. f: g: x:y:z:i: all have old copies of job runs for this job. Week + day + 2, 3, 4 . the drive letter is changed to h: and the old files removed based on the day. The current data < 7 days is in the vault. This is why I just need the backup copy job to go to h: and not change drive letters.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Drive letter does not actually matter here, as Veeam B&R remembers the drives it is writing to and then detects them on any drive letter. To achieve what you're trying to do you have to insert drives one per day, otherwise the drive with the most recent backup is selected. Also, no need to delete files manually, you can set up Veeam B&R to do that via the corresponding registry key.
larry
Veteran

Post by larry »

Will the keys work to create files for backup copy jobs? With the reg setting in ver 8 I was getting missing backup files when I tried to assign to backup copy job to a new repository even with the setting.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Yes, the registry value works globally for all repositories, both for backup and backup copy jobs.
larry
Veteran

Post by larry »

Ok thanks. Just shut down restarted both the server and myself :) not sure which one help but some times too much testing and things get weird.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Keep us updated, so we could come up with the optimal way of what you'd like to achieve.