Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Zew
Veteran
Liked: 80 times
Full Name: Aemilianus Kehler

Remove managed server from host discovery

Post by Zew »

A while back I implemented a "air gapped" backup solution in which I use a Windows Machine with a connected USB drive, in which is rotated to always have a copy air-gapped.

Now as soon as the job is done to help ensure a decent time based air gap, I shutdown the managed sevrer (windows machine) so the proxy is not available.

This causes an error report in the "last 24 hours" section of the inventory area of Veeam. Can I remove it somehow or what is a better alternative?
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Remove managed server from host discovery

Post by HannesK » 1 person likes this post

Hello,
I would opt for the ostrich algorithm

Best regards,
Hannes
Zew
Veteran

Post by Zew »

I don't like the Microsoft approach "you can safely ignore the error" it's a poor mans workaround. It be nice to have an ability to not be annoyed with non issue, as "Boy who cried wolf" got the town killed the wolf. (I won't pay attention to actual errors should they occur)
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin » 1 person likes this post

But the fact that undiscovered host is not an issue for you might not necessarily mean that it's not an issue for other customers who would like to stay updated about the status of their backup infrastructure.

Also, can I ask you why you're shutting down the proxy server after USB drive has been detached already? May be there is something we're missing.

Thanks!
Zew
Veteran

Post by Zew »

You can shutdown a machine remotely, you can't unplug a USB remotely. ( I could disconnect it via diskmgmt, but then malware can re-connect it jus the same) it's most secure to shut it down if you can't physically remove the media...