Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
jsturgill24
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Jonathon Sturgill

Remove old restore points to free up space on backup repository

Post by jsturgill24 »

Hello,

I have a backup repository filling up on space. The backup repository currently only holds backup copies from a single backup copy job.

The backup copy job is currently configured to hold 4 weekly backups, 3 monthly backups, 1 quarterly, and 1 yearly backup.

I am wanting to remove the 2 oldest backups which are the yearly backup (.vbk) as well as the oldest monthly backup (.vbk).

Without adjusting the retention policy. What is the recommended way to remove these 2 restore points?

I thought it was possible to remove restore points within Veeam by going to disk (copy) > selecting the properties of the back up copy job > selecting the restore point > selecting delete from disk. When I attempt to do this the only option I have is to copy the backup file path.

Am I best off going through file explorer > selecting the .vbk that corresponds to the restore point I want to delete > delete the file > rescan the backup repository?

Thank you in advance for any replies!
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Remove old restore points to free up space on backup repository

Post by Dima P. »

Hello jsturgill24,

If you are completely sure that these data is no longer needed then the only option would be to manually delete such .vbk file via Windows explorer. I'd recommend to move such backup to another storage before deleting it (just to make sure that you are not removing the needed backup file :wink: )
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Hi Jonathon, you can either remove them manually and then forget missing backups to clean up the database or use the Delete from Disk command, I believe this is the one you're missing.
ecorec
Influencer
Full Name: Valerio Vanni

Post by ecorec »

I need to delete old restore points, and I found this guide:
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=110

but when I'm at the last screenshot and I see restore points, right click shows me only "Copy Path". The only options, for me, is a "delete from disk" on backup name but this drops entire backup chain.

I have 2 types of backup (both show the same behaviour):
-Hyper-V, forward with periodic fulls
-Windows Agent, forward with periodic fulls

I have V10 community edition.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Hi Valerio, as mentioned in the user guide, the 'forget' functionality is available only for restore points that are missing from the backup chain (or depend on those). Any chance you're trying to delete the points from the completely valid backup chain? In this case, you should either do it manually or wait until retention performs that.
ecorec
Influencer
Full Name: Valerio Vanni

Post by ecorec »

I didn't understand well that guide, it was an entirely valid backup chain.
So there's no way to shorten it until retention cycle?

It would be nice: if for some reason you get short of space, you could decide to sacrifice a part of a chain.
Discarding all before a full backup.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

You can delete the oldest files manually from the disk and then use the 'forget' functionality to clean up the database.