Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
stuartmacgreen
Expert
Liked: 34 times
Full Name: Stuart Green

Remove Server entry that is also 'This Server' ?

Post by stuartmacgreen »

My previous environment was
Veeam Backup & Replication Server (VM)
Veeam Proxy & Repository Server (Physical Server #1 = ps1.company.net)

I have now attached a tape library to PS1 and installed the Veeam B&R v7 software and Patch 4 so I can do tape backups.
As part of the migration from VM to Physical I performed a restore of my Veeam Configuration.

Now in Infrastructure I have both entries
• This Server
• ps1.company.net
which is in effect the same object.

Q: What impact will performing a Remove of ps1.company.net.?
I want to remove it for tidying up resources as it looks like I have +1 proxy server.
Will it invoke removing software when I click Remove?
Note: I have removed all references in jobs etc to the ps1.company.net and they now say This Server.

Thanks for any guidance.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Remove Server entry that is also 'This Server' ?

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Stuart,

I'm pretty sure that if you click to remove the secondary entry it will try to remove the services (need to double-check with the QC team) which will have an impact on the "this server" node configuration.

If all components/services are removed, then you will need to delete the default proxy/repository too in order to re-install the components/all services, rescan the repository and re-create all jobs. Alternatively, if you have a previous backup server still alive, then you can try to remove the proxy server from the configuration and do the configuration migration once again.

Thanks!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

You can also contact technical support for getting assistance in removing the obsolete record from Veeam B&R database. Thanks.
meeyou
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: John White

[MERGED] Is it possible to change the host that a backup dep

Post by meeyou »

Background: Had Veeam set up for a multisite client with one console and a proxy in each location. Backups were great, everything stayed local. Instant recoveries were great, etc etc. FLR test comes around and it's painfully slow, takes like 20-30 minutes to mount the backup and load the browser. (Slow WAN link between sites)

I read the other thread about this, I see that I'm not alone in wanting the ability to use local proxies for FLR, but for now I'm trying to break the setup into multiple veeam instances.

I installed veeam on all of the proxies, patched it up to match the original console, and then restored the configuration from the main server to each proxy. Afterwards I run through and remove everything that doesn't apply to the local site from backup infrastructure. I'm able to remove everything EXCEPT the old 'named' proxy from the managed servers list.

For example the server I'm working on is OFFICE1.corp.domain.com. It was previously added to the central veeam console as a managed server/proxy. Now I've installed Veeam onto this server and removed everything, but when I try to remove OFFICE1.corp.domain.com from managed servers, I get an error that it's in used by backups. If I go into backups...disk...and select the OFFICE1 job and get properties, I see that it's got OFFICE1.corp.domain.com in the 'host' field.

Is it possible to get that out?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Is it possible to change the host that a backup depends

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi John,

I'm not sure if it is still relevant for you, but you could have used Other OS restore wizard to keep the FLR restore traffic locally. As regards, your question, then can you please tell me if you use these backup servers to run jobs on the remote sites or not?

Thanks!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

I believe you can ask support to remove the corresponding records from the database, however removing this server from the console is not actually required if you're going to use the local instance for restores only.