Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
marky
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Mark Coleman

rename backups repositories

Post by marky »

How do I go about renaming a repository so it matches the folder name I want to store the backup files it.

E.g. I have repository called GOLD and within there each backup for servers is called 'servername - backup' and I want the folder just to be called servername (within folder GOLD)

I performed all the repository remove/import and now I have two folders for the same server with different backups. I want them all in one folder which is confusing.

I've tried renaming the backup folder for the server but it doesn't display for selection in the mapping?
marky
Enthusiast

Re: rename backups repositories

Post by marky »

Btw, just to add to this. I removed all the previous backup jobs, renamed the folders for each server and re-imported/edited how I wanted them. I did this because I wanted to take into consideration the previous full backups to stop it having to create full backups again but what it has seem to have done is created a new folder in the repository so I now have two different backup files as well as multiple vbm files
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

I've conducted the following procedure and everything seems to have worked properly:

1) Deleted the previous job named "Backup Job 2"
2) Went to the repository and renamed the folder to "Backup Job 3"
3) Rescanned the repository.
4) Created new job called "Backup Job 3".
5) Mapped it to the "Backup Job 2".
6) Executed the job. ("Backup Job 3")

After job was finished, the folder name stayed intact and the resulting incremental files were named with the new "Backup Job 3" suffix.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
marky
Enthusiast

Post by marky »

Thanks, that's great, it was sort of what I was doing but what was throwing me was the historical backup name being shown, not the new folder name.

I guess what I cannot do is copy historical backups from other folders into the new map folder and expect them to be taken into consideration, or can I?
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

You mean you want to copy the previous chain into the new folder that already has backup data and want VB&R to take into consideration these files? Thanks.
cwalling
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Charley Walling

Post by cwalling »

Are you able to rename a repository? I am looking to retain my original name as the old repository will be going away. So would like to change the original to "-old" or something of the like.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Right-click on repository, select properties and specify a new name on the first page of the wizard. Do you experience any issues with this scenario? thanks!
cwalling
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Charley Walling

Post by cwalling »

I will give this a try...just getting acquainted with Veeam and could not find documentation saying yes or no. Thanks for the quick response!
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

You're welcome, renaming repository is a straight-forward process and should not cause any issues. Thanks!