I understand your concerns, but as our SE is telling you, the price increase indeed comes from a lot of additional extras. Now you say that they are no value to you so my advice would be to investigate what you exactly need (or what are you using today) but at the same time make the exercise if some of that additional functionality is not useful for you and can actually prove the additional cost to your peers. Let me explain.
1. Make a list of what you actually use today (and compare that list to our STD / ENT / ENT+ functionality to see what suits you best)
2. Then look at the functionality that is not in your chosen edition and see if it can improve your availability strategy and even save costs in work hours or added functionality to your end-users.
- Would it save you a lot of time and effort if end-users or helpdesk operators can do their own restores? (meaning the restore will be done faster making end-user happy and no work for you)
- Maybe you have a lot of SQL admins that would like to do their own restores of databases (again saving time so you can do other important items for the business)
- What about the possibility to do surebackup to test your backups / replica's each night to be sure (and prove) that you can recover (saving time again, no need to build specific environment that probably won't even match the real production one because of cost...)
- (I can continue
I certainly won't be the one telling you that you need to continue with ENT+ if the functionality is not needed. But I do had my share of mistakes in the past by selecting the wrong edition purely based on budget (because that was the assignment from the bosses
). Afterwards, because (just like you it was a long-term decision) I regretted this because the business demands changed and I couldn't deliver. Talk to your colleagues what they expect today and in the future, talk to your customers / end-users and note their expectations and use that to talk to your management. As said, I made the mistakes before and learned that if you have a good business case (and of course afterwards then implement and use the functionality
) that the budget is off less importance because management will realize the value and the return of the investment
My 2 cents