Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
dgapinski
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Dan Gapinski

Reorganizing VMs into folders

Post by dgapinski »

Hello,

I am trying to undo a bad config, where I have vSphere VMs nestled needlessly in resource pools. Why you ask? For organization, and for Veeam backup jobs. The idea was to have Veeam see new VMs there and back them up automatically, which isn't so bad really, but that's what folders are for methinks.

My question is that if I change my jobs so that they are looking at the specifying the VMs rather than the resource pools that contain them, it is business as usual, correct? Same if I point the job to a folder that has the same VMs?

Thanks!
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Reorganizing VMs into folders

Post by veremin »

My question is that if I change my jobs so that they are looking at the specifying the VMs rather than the resource pools that contain them, it is business as usual, correct? Same if I point the job to a folder that has the same VMs?
Could you elaborate on that a little bit? Both approaches (adding VMs explicitly or through containers) work in real world. Or your question is more about whether or not a job that currently has VMs added through container will work fine once you change its source to explicit VMs? Thanks.
dgapinski
Enthusiast

Post by dgapinski »

It is the latter, I want to make sure that my jobs continue after making a change from container -> explicit VMs. DPM has trained me over the course of years that any change to a job is like giving it a bag of sugar-free Gummi Bears (severe illness ensuing).
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Everything should go smoothly. And since those VMs are already present in the backups, incremental run should take place.
dgapinski
Enthusiast

Post by dgapinski »

Cool - thanks! Just had to make sure.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

No worries. Feel free to ask, if additional clarification is needed.