Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
gojoy
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Ronni Jorgensen

Replication across WAN sites

Post by gojoy »

Hello,

I am brand new into Veeam, but it seems like okay product :)

I have a setup with 7 sites with vmware ESXi servers around all over Europa. One of these sites are our "main" data center.

I have a one vcenter server installed at the main data center, that's controlls all the ESXi servers around the sites.

The links between the sites and the main site, are 10-50Mbit fiber connection with a good latency (under 30ms)

My data on my remote sites a 1,5Tb File data and 400Gb Exchange DB that are installed into VMDK files.

My question is then, is it possible to use Veeam B/R 5 to replicate a copy of all these VMDK files to my main data center?
- I know that a full replicate is a needed to start with, but what about the following days?
- Should I install Veeam servers on each sites? Or should I only install one Veeam server at the main data center?

- Is there anybody that's have the nearly the same setup?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Replication across WAN sites

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Ronni,
- I know that a full replicate is a needed to start with, but what about the following days?
All the following replication cycles will be incremental forever.
- Should I install Veeam servers on each sites? Or should I only install one Veeam server at the main data center?
I would deploy Veeam server on the source side where production VMs are located and use a Virtual Appliance replication mode. On the other hand, you may want to deploy backup servers on the target sites and manage the backup servers with a single console - Enterprise Manager.
- Is there anybody that's have the nearly the same setup?
If you search the forums, I believe you'll be able to found numerous threads with WAN replication examples.

P.S. if you're new to our product, I encourage you to look through sticked FAQ topic which contains lots of useful information.

Thanks!