Availability for the Always-On Enterprise
v.Eremin
Veeam Software
Liked: 1133 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Replication - amount of CPU

Post by v.Eremin » Feb 15, 2016 9:50 am

Then, it might be worth asking your customer the very same questions to make sure he or she understands the consequences this functionality might potentially bring. Anyway, we got the idea. Thanks.

mcrape
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 20 times
Full Name: Matt Crape

[MERGED] : Edit VM Settings as part of Replication Job

Post by mcrape » Feb 23, 2016 2:43 pm

I recently freed up some older servers and decided to use Veeam to replicate VMs to them. Given that we already have pretty good backups (on and offsite), this is just another layer of protection. I figured we would be better off with replicas on older hardware vs. not having them at all.

These older servers don't have as much RAM as our production servers, and I was thinking it would be nice to have a feature as part of the replication job to alter the VM's settings. For example, what might be an 8 GB machine in production we would scale down to a 4 GB machine if it was running on the replica servers. Yes, we would likely see a performance hit, but in our environment, I would rather see a performance hit vs. having downtime to do a restore.

Thoughts?

PTide
Veeam Software
Liked: 349 times

Re: Feature Request: Edit VM Settings as part of Replication

Post by PTide » Feb 23, 2016 4:06 pm

Hi,

That sounds like a valid request. For now with current version of VB&R you can utilize post-job scripts in order to edit your replica .vmx file automatically after every sync interval.

Thank you.

mcrape
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 20 times
Full Name: Matt Crape

Post by mcrape » Feb 23, 2016 4:51 pm

Thanks - I'll poke around and see.

Would I need to create a new script for each different customization?

PTide
Veeam Software
Liked: 349 times

Post by PTide » Feb 23, 2016 5:02 pm

Would I need to create a new script for each different customization?
There should be a separate script for each replica job. If you have all VMs in one replication job then it's ok to have one script for all VMs customization.

relionbrian
Service Provider
Liked: never
Full Name: Brian Lee

[MERGED] Replica failover with less memory

Post by relionbrian » Apr 17, 2018 5:21 pm

Currently when you failover to a replica, the backup server needs to have the same amount of memory as the production server. There is no where to configure an option to boot with less memory similar to how Surebackup allows you to do this. Modifying the memory setting in Hyper-V Manager simply gets overwritten by Veeam during the failover.

We often re-purpose old servers to act as Veeam Backup servers and they usually have less memory compared to the production server.

I know it's ideal to upgrade the memory on the backup server but it sure would be nice to have the option to boot with less memory :D