Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Akson
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Łukasz

Replication - amount of CPU

Post by Akson »

Hello!

Is it possible to change the amount of CPU, which starts with replica? In SureBackup there is an option that changes the amount of RAM: "Amount of memory that is allacate VM".
At that moment, if server where you run replica has fewer processors than the source server, the action fails with the error.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Replication - amount of CPU

Post by veremin »

Is it possible to change the amount of CPU, which starts with replica?
No, it is not. Thanks.
Akson
Novice

Post by Akson »

Is a possibility, that the option to change the number of processors was added in the next update Veeam?
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Nope, as you might be the first one to request this functionality. Thanks.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Akson wrote:At that moment, if server where you run replica has fewer processors than the source server, the action fails with the error.
During failover you can change the number of vCPUs manually via vSphere Client and then start the VMs.
Akson
Novice

Post by Akson »

Yes, I can change number of CPUs via vSphere Client but then I can't use Veeam to migrate to the production environment. I have to do the migration with VMware.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Not sure I fully understand why you can't use replication jobs to move VMs to the production environment. Can you please clarify? Will it be a permanent failover?
Akson
Novice

Post by Akson »

Vitaliy S. wrote:Not sure I fully understand why you can't use replication jobs to move VMs to the production environment. Can you please clarify? Will it be a permanent failover?
In the standard case, when we use replication, we can migrate to the production environment - Veeam is responsible for it. When I manually run the VM from a replica, it is no longer work Veeam mechanisms. We migrate the VM, but only from VMware.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

As mentioned, it's not possible to change amount of CPU, using VB&R GUI. However, during failover (or once it's finished) you can access the failovered VM and change those settings via vSphere Client. Thanks.
dellock6
Veeam Software
Liked: 1928 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 »

you can at least add additional vCPU if you first configure the VM to support hotadd (not to be confused with VADP hotadd aka virtual appliance mode).
There are some limits based on the involved guest OS, but with it you can add in real time new CPU and memory. Not remove as far as I remember.

Luca.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
willn
Influencer
Full Name: William Nelson

[MERGED] : Replication between DR Site

Post by willn »

OK, so I am putting together my replication plan and going to be replicating our production VMs to the DR site. My main question is if there is a way to reconfigure the production VMs to have less RAM than the production (we will run in "crippled" mode in DR).

My only thought about how to do this is to replicate the VMs initially to get them to the DR site, manually change the RAM requirements on the replica VM and then map those replicas on the original replication job, that way it won't overwrite the settings with the original. Hopefully that makes sense.

Does this sound like the best way to accomplish this?
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

There is no functionality to achieve what you're after in automatic fashion.

Speaking about manual tweaking memory value, I haven't tested that myself and not sure whether that re-configuration would persist after subsequent replication cycle.

Thanks.
SteelContainer
Service Provider
Liked: 21 times

Post by SteelContainer »

We have had a prospective client ask about the reduction of specs for cloud replicas. Count me down for a feature request.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

We've discussed this at service provider subforum once and I doubt that I get the idea behind making replica VM less provisioned in terms of resources (besides price, of course)?

In the way I see it replica by definition is an exact copy of production VM, so, if production VM hosting mission-critical application requires the defined amount of resources to run successfully, why to make it crawl during disaster when you need it most? If VM can live ok with less resources, why to overprovision it in production in the first place?

Thanks.
SteelContainer
Service Provider
Liked: 21 times

Post by SteelContainer »

That's a good point. Yes it is simply that the client wants to pay less for the replica.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Then, it might be worth asking your customer the very same questions to make sure he or she understands the consequences this functionality might potentially bring. Anyway, we got the idea. Thanks.
mcrape
Veeam Software
Liked: 20 times
Full Name: Matt Crape

[MERGED] : Edit VM Settings as part of Replication Job

Post by mcrape »

I recently freed up some older servers and decided to use Veeam to replicate VMs to them. Given that we already have pretty good backups (on and offsite), this is just another layer of protection. I figured we would be better off with replicas on older hardware vs. not having them at all.

These older servers don't have as much RAM as our production servers, and I was thinking it would be nice to have a feature as part of the replication job to alter the VM's settings. For example, what might be an 8 GB machine in production we would scale down to a 4 GB machine if it was running on the replica servers. Yes, we would likely see a performance hit, but in our environment, I would rather see a performance hit vs. having downtime to do a restore.

Thoughts?
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Re: Feature Request: Edit VM Settings as part of Replication

Post by PTide »

Hi,

That sounds like a valid request. For now with current version of VB&R you can utilize post-job scripts in order to edit your replica .vmx file automatically after every sync interval.

Thank you.
mcrape
Veeam Software
Liked: 20 times
Full Name: Matt Crape

Post by mcrape »

Thanks - I'll poke around and see.

Would I need to create a new script for each different customization?
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Post by PTide »

Would I need to create a new script for each different customization?
There should be a separate script for each replica job. If you have all VMs in one replication job then it's ok to have one script for all VMs customization.
relionbrian
Service Provider
Full Name: Brian Lee

[MERGED] Replica failover with less memory

Post by relionbrian »

Currently when you failover to a replica, the backup server needs to have the same amount of memory as the production server. There is no where to configure an option to boot with less memory similar to how Surebackup allows you to do this. Modifying the memory setting in Hyper-V Manager simply gets overwritten by Veeam during the failover.

We often re-purpose old servers to act as Veeam Backup servers and they usually have less memory compared to the production server.

I know it's ideal to upgrade the memory on the backup server but it sure would be nice to have the option to boot with less memory :D